SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Petrol everywhere !

(1/3) > >>

billdn:
Having replaced carbs , which were rebuilt some time ago I hasten to add, I thought I'd check the bowls didn't leak by rigging up portable petrol tank. i turned on tap with bated breath and yes the bowls etc do not leak!!
But there was petrol p*****g out from each carb overflow and even the 2 between carb 2 and 3 in the middle - any ideas! I suspect floats stuck but never done carbs before so any pointers would be great !
PS put that fag out!

Nurse Julie:
Smack the float bowls with the handle of a screw driver to see if it will unstick the float valve needles. If that doesn't sort them out, you will probably have to remove carbs to sort out. Has this only just started happening? Are you 100% sure float heights are set correctly.

billdn:
Thanks NJ,
Post cleaning and reassembly could be some 1-2 years and been sitting in a box waiting for the other work to catch up, I did try a tentative tap as I recall having read that elsewhere. No fuel has been in them since cleaning and this is the first time I've tried it. How had a rap should I use, stupid question?
Is it possible that being totally dry something could be stuck I'm hoping a bit of fuel may free things up, I'm leaving it for the mo as the fumes are pretty intense - just pray I haven't got to take the beggars off again!

Nurse Julie:

--- Quote from: billdn on November 25, 2020, 03:29:26 PM ---Thanks NJ,
Post cleaning and reassembly could be some 1-2 years and been sitting in a box waiting for the other work to catch up, I did try a tentative tap as I recall having read that elsewhere. No fuel has been in them since cleaning and this is the first time I've tried it. How had a rap should I use, stupid question?
Is it possible that being totally dry something could be stuck I'm hoping a bit of fuel may free things up, I'm leaving it for the mo as the fumes are pretty intense - just pray I haven't got to take the beggars off again!

--- End quote ---
If it's a wooden screw driver handle, you can give them quite a whack. Petrol should get things moving, if anything is stuck. We store newly rebuilt carbs for years sometimes, wrapped in a polythene bag and they rarely have a problem with float valves sticking if they have been stored upright, so the floats hang down and don't compress the needle valves.

billdn:
From memory I think they were stored laying flat I'll give them another whack now the fresh petrol has had chance to penetrate. I'll be back!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version