Author Topic: New toy  (Read 1319 times)

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
New toy
« on: November 29, 2020, 02:44:22 PM »
Hi all

Just bought as a nostalgia thing a CB125t as passed my test on one of these all though years ago

Bike has not been on the road in 18 years and only had two ownes with 10 k on the clock

The person selling it has replaced some stuff like exhaust and tyres but the carbs had very blocked idle jets and said they said the carb could really do with a complete strip and clean

Looks like they are a diaphragm type

So where is the best place please to buy any require service parts or service kit for these types of carb and maybe even if needed new diaphragms

Any advise welcome

Many thanks in advance

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New toy
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
Seems a nice unspoiled example.

A few on here are previous/current owners of these,  so some knowledge should be forthcoming.

Carbs don't look bad condition at all,  but the idle circuits are very small and easily impaired,  it may not take much to get up to scratch.

The diaphragm are just in air flow as opposed to being influenced directly by fuel,  just unscrew the top cap to inspect as they can remain remarkably intact even at that age. 

Offline Kelly E

• Geriatric Hooligan
  • SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
We have done several sets of diaphragm type CV carbs and haven't found a bad diaphragm yet. For the best results cleaning these type of carbs you need an ultrasonic tank. It's the best way to get the small internal passages clean. Here's a set we just finished for the 84' Interceptor 1000.
The Rust Brothers Garage Collection
1974 Honda CB550 K0
1975 Honda CB400F Super Sport
1979 Honda CB750F Super Sport
1980 Suzuki GS1100E
1982 Honda CB900F Super Sport
1983 Honda CB1100F
1984 Honda VF700S Sabre
1984 Honda VF1000F Interceptor
1990 Moto Guzzi 1000 Le Mans
1994 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
2006 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Offline allankelly1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
New toy
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:06:00 PM »
Hi all

Thanks for the reply so far

Yes very unmolested and in very good condition even though it has not been used in the last 18 years

Ticks over like a sewing machine and super quiet but like the seller said it’s very poor on pick up so suspect lots of other muck in the carbs if the idle jets were totally blocked and look like all they did was just drop the bowls to access the jets to get it to just tick over ok

Tank inside looks totally rust free so must have been stored in a very good environment

Will plan to drop the carbs in the next couple of weeks and then ultrasonic clean them and throughly clean all the internal circuits then rebuild it should be spot on

Catch up soon

Best wishes Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
I think many people expect far too much from a pair of 62cc pistons performance wise. That is the later 12bhp restricted motor, but like the earlier 17bhp pre restricted version, they need revs to get moving any sense. Gutless below 8,000rpm really, they need winding right to the redline in each gear to maintain any sort of pace. Just remember that before spending many hours and heaps of cash trying to find performance that was never there new. Best thing is to find someone with one who can give you a comparison.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 07:25:23 PM »
If it's ticking over that would suggest the idle circuits are ok really.

Check the air filter first (some of them go peculiarly restrictive when left that long) before dismantling to make sure it's nothing simple like that,  or mice in there  :)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »
That's a good find, you must be well pleased with it.  I have no wish to look for the the bike that I learned on.  I don't even want to see another brown C90.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal