Author Topic: TT 2021 Cancelled  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
TT 2021 Cancelled
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »

Unfortunately next years TT cancelled.

https://www.iomttraces.com/news/racing

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: TT 2021 Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 09:12:55 AM »
I know race teams and the whole infrastructure leading up to an event like the TT can't just happen overnight but I would've thought they could delay the decision until the New Year at least to see what happens with the new COVID vaccines?  Presumably the answer to that is No.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 09:25:04 AM »
I think the IOM has been particularly successful in locking out the virus with the measures they have taken - they are clearly not confident that the mainland will have alleviated the virus by next June I would assume from that decision.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 10:26:54 AM »
I think the truth is that arranging and organising events like the TT take quite a bit longer than six months, and I can also understand that the IOM residents would not be too keen on increasing the covid risk from the mainland. 2022?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 10:46:33 AM »
With the euphoric announcement of vaccine etc now passed,  the practical application of realistic steps is most likely to take longer than many hope for.

The TT announcement seems to be realistic given the above if true. I don't think the sport of motorcycle racing would want to have the adverse labeling that'll go with something like this if it were to go wrong. Well certainly given how the news channels treat any serious incident that happens there anyway,  even without the overlay of pandemic.

Personally not so cautious,  but I feel it does appear to be the right decision for them and the sphere of those that would be involved.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »

Even if the UK was totally free of Covid. Spectators come from all over the world. Something like having to provide a negative test that was taken within 72hrs prior to arrival. Similar to Spain and thats not fool proof as its transmittable on surfaces.

IOM 25 deaths  New Zealand 25 deaths. 

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
There is a possibility. We have seen the last of the TT.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 10:35:40 AM »

Unfortunately you could well be right especially if the Manx is cancelled as well.   :-X

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 05:30:28 PM »

I doubt that very much. It brings too much income to the island's businesses.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
The anti TT lobby has been gathering momentum for some time now. Both on & off the Island. Plus the health & safety obsessed
World we now live in. The two year cancellation will crush the hospitality sector. The average age of those going to the TT is around 50. Many of these would not contemplate camping
The constant struggle to get Marshall's + the lack of younger motorcyclists. The future looks bleak.
As a TT supporter who has not missed a TT since 1977.
Or a Manx gp since 2000. I sincerely hope I am wrong.
But I have over the last decade seen the organisers milk the tits off the dying cash cow.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 11:31:01 AM »
It would be terrible for motorcycling not only for the UK but the rest of the world if the TT were to end for good.
I haven't been since 1999, not because I didn't want to go but because its so expensive and that is if you can get the accommodation and the ferry to coincide, 95% it's one or the other but never both! 3 years ago I had a hotel booked but had to wait for the ferry bookings to open some weeks later, when they did I  couldn't get a ferry within three days of the arrival or departure dates. And this was within 30 minutes of the ferry website opening!
The Steam Packet rip-off the TT, always have done and because they own the dock on the island no other company gets a look-in, you would think the IOM govt would step in considering the wealth it brings to their economy but I guess they are more keen to keep the place as a tax haven for the rich rather than have dirty, smelly motorbike riders hanging around.
I would go to both the TT and the Classic TT if I could and if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get there.
There's always the Isle of Wight TT to look forward to if it ever gets off the ground.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 12:05:02 PM »
It would be terrible for motorcycling not only for the UK but the rest of the world if the TT were to end for good.
I haven't been since 1999, not because I didn't want to go but because its so expensive and that is if you can get the accommodation and the ferry to coincide, 95% it's one or the other but never both! 3 years ago I had a hotel booked but had to wait for the ferry bookings to open some weeks later, when they did I  couldn't get a ferry within three days of the arrival or departure dates. And this was within 30 minutes of the ferry website opening!
The Steam Packet rip-off the TT, always have done and because they own the dock on the island no other company gets a look-in, you would think the IOM govt would step in considering the wealth it brings to their economy but I guess they are more keen to keep the place as a tax haven for the rich rather than have dirty, smelly motorbike riders hanging around.
I would go to both the TT and the Classic TT if I could and if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to get there.
There's always the Isle of Wight TT to look forward to if it ever gets off the ground.

I was told by Conner Cummins who has family that works for Steam Packet that the IOM Gov set the price not Steam Packet.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »
I try to counter the ferry price argument with this.How much does it cost to get trackside at the British GP? To see how many races? And if you follow a particular rider and he bins it early in the race😭 Compare that to what you get for your money at the TT.
Accomodation is of course another thing.
I consider myself very fortunate to have the generosity of friends over there who's garden I camp on.
Also I'm very fortunate to live close to Heysham. So I never pre book the boat. I just turn up & get on. I have never failed.
Here's hoping to be back soon.
Isle of white will never happen!

Offline bobv7

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »
I suppose if I lived near Heysham I'd be hoping the IOW thing doesn't take off. But I can see the IOW from here! ;)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »
Obviously I hope the IoW does happen but.
I just see the similarly with the Welsh TT thing of last year.
The same promotion  with the ever grinning Steve Player riding around the proposed course etc.
I cant help thinking it will come to nothing again.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal