SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

Storage for Winter

(1/4) > >>

Dave:
Well, it's got a little cold here and they have started sprinkling nasty stuff on the roads. So I thought I would lay the bike up for a few months...but I've not really done this before. When I used to ride, it was all year round pretty much.

Has anyone any suggestions on storing my bike over winter? Say for 2-3 months or so.

The workshop iself is pretty good humidly wise.  However, I've read that E based petrol can cause havoc with tanks / carbs. And some people are saying that fuel additives are pretty much snake oil for negating the effects of Ethanol in petrol over time.

In short, I've no idea what is the best approach to storing my bike over winter. 

I think it best to just ask the people here with experience for some practical suggestions. Thanks...

Dave

taysidedragon:
Lots of people have different ideas. This is what I do, make sure bike is clean and dry. Put some fuel stabiliser in the petrol tank and drain the carbs. Put battery on trickle charge and pump up the tyres a few psi over normal.
The bike is on the centre stand and old pieces of carpet under the wheels.

Nurse Julie:
Same as above but I take the battery right off.

JonnyB:
E5 petrol is not so bad for being stored, but I would still drain carbs if laying up for more than 3 or 4 months, you wait till we get E10 or even E20.

Anyway, I remove that batteries and keep them warm in my office and rotate a trickle charger over them, I have been known to force the brake pads back and place a bit cardboard in there to prevent the pads bonding to the disks.

ka-ja:
Drain off all petrol and put it in the car

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version