SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB350/400

MoT or Not?

<< < (3/9) > >>

Johnny4428:
Probably a good idea to take a totally rebuilt bike for mot initially when recommissioning. Bikes I have rebuilt in the past I have been confident to take them out with no mot, but there’s a big difference between confidence and qualified as far as roadworthy goes. Good point raised in the interest of safety.

taysidedragon:

--- Quote from: SteveW on December 03, 2020, 08:49:11 PM ---I have not had an MOT on my 550 since Feb 18, I keep it in tip top condition.

When they introduced the MOT exemption, it crossed my mind that what happens in an accident?

Suppose you have an accident and your insurance company asks the questions, was your bike roadworthy at the time of the accident and if so can you prove it?

We all know the lengths insurance companies will go to to avoid paying out.

--- End quote ---
I know what you mean about insurance companies but having an MOT certificate is no proof that the bike is roadworthy up to 12 months later.

McCabe-Thiele (Ted):
I take our SL 500 to the MB main dealer in Derby since I worked for them as a driver between 2004 to current date as I get a friends & family discount. I worked for Inchcape until 2018. Earlier this year they failed it's MoT on the number plate spacing despite it having had the same plates fitted since 2003 - they were arguably misspaced by 5 mm even though they were BS stamped.

I declined the free Inchcape Logo'd plastic number plates they offered - I returned for a free re-test with a nice set of pressed alloy plates to collect a Pass a couple of days later. Apparently they were under scrutiny by VOSA/DVSA due to a dodgy sacked employee.

I will take my 400/4 for a test to confirm if you will the work I will have done. After that I probably will not bother.

AshimotoK0:

--- Quote from: Ted Bagshaw on December 04, 2020, 12:31:48 AM ---
I declined the free Inchcape Logo'd plastic number plates they offered - I returned for a free re-test with a nice set of pressed alloy plates to collect a Pass a couple of days later. Apparently they were under scrutiny by VOSA/DVSA due to a dodgy sacked employee.

--- End quote ---

About 5 years ago I took a trusty 20 year old Toyota into the MOT garage near where I work. Went back at 5pm to pick it up and the owner said ..it passed TWICE and all it needed was a wiper blade. After he had MOT'd it, 1st thing  in the morning and passsed  it, two guys came in, one with a clipboard the other in his overalls. They were from VOSA and had been monitoring my MOT on a laptop in the car park next door. They didn't believe a 20 year old car sailed though it's MOT and spent one and a half hours with it in the MOT bay inspecting it. Subsequently told the garage owner 'well done' and then b*ggered off.

paul G:
I have taken all mine once after their full restorations just to prove at the time they were road worthy.
I don't plan to take them now they have reached the historic classification.
As previous posts they are meticulously maintained and never had one fail  ;D 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version