Author Topic: Old coils.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Old coils.
« on: December 05, 2020, 09:59:31 PM »
Here’s a serious dilemma! Is it worth refurbishing old coils? By the time I have sourced new ht cable, protective sheaths, numbers, epoxy resin etc, I am still going to end up with 47 year old coils. So the question is any advantage in repairing compared to replacing with new.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
Re: Old coils.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:50:43 AM »
.... it surely depends upon how anal you are about original parts? Whilst I personally enjoy a good challenge, modern stuff is generally very reliable, beautifully made... and at reasonable cost that it’s sometimes sensible to know when you’re beat!
Coils - I’d shy away from given 40yo insulations becoming brittle, the environment they sit in, and that pushing any bike home is no fun!

Offline blackeagles

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 12:25:57 PM »
you could try checking (with a multimeter) the  reading(s) to see how good/bad they are before anything else.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 04:04:50 PM »
I've got repo's on my 750k2 and had no problems (only 500 miles though) but had 2 out of 2 coils (M&P repo's) go duff on a K6 I built recently. If you follw Ash's guide, he considers that the standard coils are bullet proof and shows you how to test them before paying out for all the stuff to refurb the std ones. The cost reduces the more you do - I've done 3 sets now and so the cost compare to std replacements (few hundred squid?). I have a set ready to put on the 750k2 and a set for my 500k2 I'm building. The other set went on a recently sold K6 cafe racer.
I quite enjoyed the challenge and achievement of bringing what was effectively a throw away part back to new! (all thanks to Ash's guide mind you!).
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 08:56:34 PM »
+1

I did the same. The only thing was the knowledge of where exactly to cut the body and the confidence to do it.

Also, do pay attention to teh advice not to cut too close to where the lead joins the coil; it is a pain to try to solder it back here.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
Truthfully, little is allowed to die in our house, which Mrs Lobo will glumly attest to.

Yesterday however, I began to refurb a worn out 1.5HP water pump (we’re on rain tanks here), which was really unnecessary as I’d bought a new replacement at very reasonable cost & slotted it in (within 15 mins) a couple of days ago.

Anyways, after 2 hrs of sweat (33 degs at the mo), wet with penetrating oil, sheared studs, plastic parts frozen into rust, ball races stuck onto corroded shaft.... and worst, the prospect of cleaning, etch priming and painting the old casing .. I gave up. Perfectly doable, but when labour / balls-ache etc factored in against replacement cost it really was a no-brainier.

A strangely lovely feeling to dump 13kg of old pump into the bin! I showered, saw your post Johnny and had to reply.
On reflection, it really would depend (for me) upon the rarity & originality of the machine in question.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:36:27 AM »
Don't want to get into a debate about it ..you make your own decision.

All I can say it I have done a few sets for Trigger, RGP750, Julie etc on here and they are people who have pretty exacting standards and their standards of restoration I truly admire..

Also investing in the clear epoxy resin kit I recommend will pay dividends as it's one of the best adhesives on the market for all other stuff. Forget Araldite, Gorilla Glue uncle Tom Cobley and all b*llocks glues..I have been using it for over 30 years and you can't beat it. Plus it can be filled with ultra fine aluminium powder or ceramic powder to create a really strong repair putty  (if you look at a CB750 early engine there are apertures blanked off at the the factory using a similar aluminium filled epoxy resin..and I have never seen it fail.. as long as the preparation is good.

I have a set of coils to do for Julie's 400/4 'Hettie'... When I do them I will try and do a video for anyone who is interested.

If I wasn't repairing them I would buy the OEM Denso ones that Yamiya sell. If the primaries of any other aftermarket ones are less than 4.5 Ohms I would dismiss them out of hand if you are using the standard points system.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 10:01:44 AM »
Yes I'm interested as one of my coils definitely looks in need.

Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 11:14:59 AM »
The way Ash does them is spot on.
 I have had a go myself some years ago but, i couldn't get the soldering right and it would not take. Not sure if it was my solder, flux or soldering iron was not powerful enough. I must admit that i am shite at anything electrical so, i leave stuff like that to the experts  ;)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »

I have a set of coils to do for Julie's 400/4 'Hettie'... When I do them I will try and do a video for anyone who is interested.

I for one will be interested to see it.
I have a couple of sets that could do with doing when i pull my finger out.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:55:57 PM by Moorey »

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:59 PM »
Great advice and comments, all welcome. I think I will probably have a go at repairing if the test on the coils with multimeter proves to be ok. I will of course be interested in viewing any repair videos on this subject too.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Ash, just out of interest, what is the failure pattern of old coils? Is it an ‘easily’ addressed mechanical failure, or a breakdown / degradation of component parts?
Simon

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 12:33:38 PM »
The way Ash does them is spot on.
 I have had a go myself some years ago but, i couldn't get the soldering right and it would not take. Not sure if it was my solder, flux or soldering iron was not powerful enough. I must admit that i am shite at anything electrical so, i leave stuff like that to the experts  ;)

Graham,
                 A lot of the old wires oxidize and go black in color.
The best thing to do in that case is use some good old fashioned plumbing solder and leave it to do its stuff for half an hour before using resin cored solder. ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2020, 01:15:04 PM »
Ash, just out of interest, what is the failure pattern of old coils? Is it an ‘easily’ addressed mechanical failure, or a breakdown / degradation of component parts?
Simon

Of all the coild I have fixed, only one was not repairable as the secondary HT winding was low resistance. The main failure is fatigue of the conductor core of the HT leads. I think the failed one had been fitted with a CDi aftermarket ignition. In this instance, if there is no spark plug present or or some kind of break in the HT cable conductor core then the excessive HT created in the secondary can cause 'flashover' and damage the windings.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »
Bit of an asside but when laverda put bosch electronic on the 3 cyl just taking a plug out and resting it on the head destroyed the system

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal