Author Topic: Bike Cameras  (Read 1464 times)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Cameras
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 11:04:46 PM »
I don't use them so don't have a definitive view either way.

Comment effectively from a police officer as it's their view that it's a fairly significant threshold to cross if they want to confiscate something like this without reasonable cause.

As opposed to a vehicle that's been involved in a accident and during subsequent inspection (the owner of which may not have been present) the recording having been accessed, may give reasonable cause to secure as evidence. 

Subtle,  but with obvious differences.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 09:55:15 AM »
I would buy the same helmet cam London cyclists use. Fitting one of those enables you to break the law, ride up one way streets the wrong way, go through red lights, ride on pavements, ride in the middle of the road etc. And using one of these entitles you to ride at night with no lights and when you get knocked off it's the car/lorry/van/motorcyclist's fault for not seeing you ;)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 11:15:53 AM »
I would buy the same helmet cam London cyclists use. Fitting one of those enables you to break the law, ride up one way streets the wrong way, go through red lights, ride on pavements, ride in the middle of the road etc. And using one of these entitles you to ride at night with no lights and when you get knocked off it's the car/lorry/van/motorcyclist's fault for not seeing you ;)

:) :) Don't forget no insurance, tax or mot either!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 12:02:47 PM »
I've never needed a camera until 1st September when a council operated minibus reversed into me at a T junction.  A scary event on a motorbike, not having a reverse gear that I could hurriedly deploy.  All I could do is press the horn and brace for impact.
At the scene, the driver admitted fault with a lame apology, stating that he only reversed about a foot.
A load of bollocks but an admission nevertheless.
Now, the cnut is saying that he didn't reverse at all but I drove into him.  Even without a dash cam, I should have had the presence of mind to record his lame smidsy routine, but at the time I was a bit shaken up.
Before you suggest going on the Castle Park neighbourhood watch Facebook site,  and knocking on doors to canvass for a witness, I've done it all and got nowhere.
As a last resort, I've contacted my Councillor who can, at least cast a magnifying glass over his driving standards.

To put you out of your misery, it wasn't the 400four that copped it.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:07:58 PM by mike the bike »
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
It bloody saddens me at how scummy / dishonest (some) folk have become. Desperate times I guess.....

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
And to think the driver of the minibus is a so-called professional driver! Are you sure you didn't give him and the six other family members who were with him in the minibus at the time whiplash injuries when you rode into him at 125mph ::)
I sometimes catch a bit of TV with my breakfast when I get back from a run in the morning. There's a programme called 'Claimed and shamed'. Some of the insurance scams people claim for is beyond belief. Most of them are stupid enough to think the insurance company won't investigate dodgy sounding claims. The guy who suffered three whiplash injuries in three years was the best. On his third calim the insurance company found a shop's CCTV footage looking out onto the road where the accident occured. The footage showed him doing an emergency brake on the outside line of a dual carrigeway with no traffic in front of him. The car behind piled into him. Needless to say he is now spending some time at his local HMP to reflect on his errors!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »
I'm afraid that I have no faith in people - the general public think its normal to claim these days.
My daughter in law bumped into the back of someone at a set of lights - just moving. There was no damage to his car and he said don't worry theres no damage. My son went done straight away to his address (as they exchanged names/ins details) and took pictures showing no damage. Next minute, a claim for whiplash went in and despite her insurance company investigating twitter and faceache posts showing him showing off in the gym, he ended up getting £4000. This guy was a senior executive at our local NHS Trust! Bludy crook!
And you only need to look at the litter and masks discarded on the local heath where we walk the dog to assess peoples attitude to others - its the little things in life that make the difference to the bigger picture but people think the little actions they do makes no difference - most of society are selfish (just like that bus driver)
Grumpy old git rant over and out!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 06:58:57 PM »
I'm afraid that I have no faith in people - the general public think its normal to claim these days.
My daughter in law bumped into the back of someone at a set of lights - just moving. There was no damage to his car and he said don't worry theres no damage. My son went down to his house straight away to his address (as they exchanged names/ins details) and took pictures showing no damage. Next minute, a claim for whiplash went in and despite her insurance company investigating twitter and faceache posts showing him showing off in the gym, he ended up getting £4000. This guy was a senior executive at our local NHS Trust! Bludy crook!
And you only need to look at the litter and masks discarded on the local heath where we walk the dog to assess peoples attitude to others - its the little things in life that make the difference to the bigger picture but people think the little actions they do makes no difference - most of society are selfish (just like that bus driver)
Grumpy old git rant over and out!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline GTB981

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 03:30:10 PM »
I don`t have a camera but always carry a mobile to take photos etc. I got hit from behind on my Vmax while I was stationery in a queue of traffic at a roundabout. The Nigerian lady in the 4 x 4 claimed jumped out and said "look what you`ve done to my car (number plate had fallen off that was all). She claimed I "reversed" into her and got a no win no fee company involved. She got a dodgy invoice from a garage for new bumper and radiator totalling about £2,500. Her NWNF company Irwin Mitchell tried to get me to settle out of court and go 50/50. I wouldn`t. They didn`t think I`d show but I did. She didn`t show up and even the judge felt her claim was ridiculous. Her brief was made to look a bloody fool and case went my way. Was extremely stressful but there was no way it was my fault what so ever. Got the Vmax repaired and ended up about £1200 in pocket.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
 Fortunately not all are the same and I still have a bit of faith ln people, some may say I am foolish but I wouldn't sting anyone. would any of you. In Sept I was knocked off by a U turning transit taxi on the outskirts of Newquay. I was on the Kawasaki Z750s,.No injury to me or damage to clothing, The bike only suffered a broken fairing one side and badly scratched the other side, damaged lever and bar end weight, still rideable. I didn't really want to go down the insurance route and he didn't either as no doubt it could have impacted on his living. This year had been hard enough for people as it is. I said i would get all the parts and do the repairs myself if he paid for them.  I sourced parts and prices  sent him a text and before we moved on from Newquay he had transferred the money in full and thanked me for my Understanding and honesty on the price of the parts.
I see no reason to make someones life harder than it needs to be or take advantage just because i can. I will say he was also a biker not that that should make any difference.
 What goes around comes around.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
That's a good result,  the taxi bloke paying for the damage like that.
With my claim,  as I pointed out to the insurance bod from the council, I m not claiming for any personal injuries, whiplash etc, or new leather jacket or a top of the range helmet.  I just want the damage to my bike sorted.
With the council,  I can't be sure the driver is lying to cover his arse or if he's been ordered to lie to save the council's arse.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 05:45:02 PM »
That's a good result,  the taxi bloke paying for the damage like that.
With my claim,  as I pointed out to the insurance bod from the council, I m not claiming for any personal injuries, whiplash etc, or new leather jacket or a top of the range helmet.  I just want the damage to my bike sorted.
With the council,  I can't be sure the driver is lying to cover his arse or if he's been ordered to lie to save the council's arse.

It will be a fair bet he's lying to cover his arse and maybe save his job,

Online SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 07:12:06 PM »
I had a near miss 10 years ago or so. Going along a residential street on my R1, only doing about 30.
Guy pulls out from the left in this big estate Merc with the tail gate all the way up in the air.

He had just enough time to pull out but out of the back this huge old style Cathode Ray Tube TV flew out and bounced along the road towards me, I had just enough time to swerve and avoid it. Probably talking 50 inch TV size.

Imagine trying to explain colliding with a TV to the insurance company?
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal