Author Topic: Exhausted by exhaust  (Read 576 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Exhausted by exhaust
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
House move plans dragging, so while I am stumped for big stuff, I thought I would go back to a few of those jobs I put on the back burner. Like the exhaust on My F2.

Half of it was scrap. I had some corrosion around hte collector, but the rear pipe was total scrap. Huge hole blown out just behind where it joined, and paper thin metal all along the underside that I could push around while it made crunchy sounds. Baffles were shot too, and not really attached. The front section, however, is actually surprisingly good.

Quite a bit of surface rust on the collector...which I have been cleaning off...but it is really pretty solid. Will need some welding where the pipe went into the joint gasket, as moisture clearly got trapped and rotted out the steel...but only where the gasket sat. Should be an easy job to weld in some fresh steel there...

The pipes themselves have some surface spotting, but no dents and just a couple of scratches/scrapes...none of which are deep. Should clean up...then I guess it sould be possible to re-chrome.

BUT....here's the thing.

I cannot get the 2 removable header pipes to shift. 2 are welded into the collector...but 2 are seperate. The clamps came off really nicely with a squirt of WD40, but they were not rusted up.
If I am going to get them refinished....the pipes have got to come apart? I can see a gasket in there ( or what looks like one) but if it's fossilized like the other one....it's going to be a pain to get loose. The one I did remove was easy ( relatively) as the metal around it was scrap and I could cut it away then break off the gasket bit by bit. Cant do that here. Heat also seems to do nothing, as the gasket was designed to cope with high temps, and the metals are exapnding at the same rate.

Any hints or tips????
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Exhausted by exhaust
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »
Red hot then cooled should break any corrosion bond but dont try twisting whilst red as it would probably twist off

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 05:01:32 PM »
Get it nice and hot and spray some oil at the joint.  When it cools, reheat and squirt some more oil.  Eventually,  the hot oil will work its way in.
Let us know how you get on.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 05:28:53 PM »
will do :)
Time to get the thing really hot :)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal