Author Topic: PD Carb Serial numbers  (Read 608 times)

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
PD Carb Serial numbers
« on: December 16, 2020, 08:51:02 PM »
I know people hate them .... however, PD Carb serial numbers usually start PD41 or 42 then either AA or BB, followed by two other letters and lastly a symbol which looks Japanese. Can anyone explain what these last 2 letters and symbol relate to. Also anyone know if as long as they all start the same, eg PD41BB, is there any issue with these last 3 digits not matching to make up a set. (I'm getting one of my headaches coming on again) :-\

Neil G
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:15:45 PM by neilg »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: PD Carb Serial numbers
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 10:01:32 PM »
I know that they're not liked because of physically cleaning them, but they are good carbs that run jetting closer to ideal with enrichment supplement only when needed,  as opposed to essentially running rich all the time for "ordinary" carbs.

I thought the a versus b spec was to use slides with different cutouts to give the different identification.

For the PD42 (750 F2 and 750 K7 are paired in Honda workshop manual) the A version is listed for the F2 with B for the K7 with subsequently 105 and 110 main jets.

These are in the specification pages with the 750F in a left column accompanying the 750K in right column for all specs. But interestingly in the carburettor section they've swapped the headers, typo? which then swaps the a and b spec over! So even they seem confused  :)

The K motor is orientated toward lower revs and torque peak so could explain if the slides were different to trim response at more typically used rpm for that bike versus the F2 With lower gearing and raised red line.

I've not seen them for years next to each other,  so it may be worth you comparing the throttle slides to see if they differ if you've both types in front of you.

Offline neilg

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »
Thanks for this. I'm aware of the different A's and B's between the 41's and 42's. When looking down the throttle slide opening there is a definite difference in the machining  with a wider flange either side at the bottom on those used on K7/8. It was just these last 3 digits that I was wondering about. My own thought is it might relate to some production related thing such as date or location of manufacture/assembly.
Have to say I don't have any issues with them, at the end of the day they are just a carb.

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »
I have PD41As on my K7 750 (usa model). From ws manual:
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal