Author Topic: Heated grips  (Read 1470 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Heated grips
« on: December 22, 2020, 04:53:27 PM »
Not 400four related but I bought some NOS Oxford heated grips for the GPZ as that's the bike that gets ridden in all the shite weather.  One day, the starboard grip stopped heating, followed by a complete failure.  It didn't take long to find the cause, it was the crappy electrical connectors: the pins had pulled out of the blocks.
I wasn't impressed with the connectors in the first place being not at all waterproof.
I binned those in favour of Superseal connectors and haven't had any bother since
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline cooleronthecoast

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Its a good point Mike.  I'm a big fan of Oxford heated grips, but the connectors aren't the best and I always wrap them in insulation tape but they are quite large and bulky and perhaps Oxford could look at fitting better ones as you have.
Now where did I put that 10mm socket?

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2020, 06:16:51 PM »
I am not a fan of the Oxford grips for a couple of reasons.

The connectors are one....and the silly brackets fracture. It also wouldn;t kill them to fit a voltage cutoff....so you don't have to run them through a relay.

I bought a set of grips made by Datatool a while back ( sadly no longer sold) with a slider on the left grip for level and a flashing LED on the right grip, that flashed to indicate the setting. They laso had a built in voltage cutoff for when the voltage dropped below 12V, so you couldn't flatten your battery if you forget to turn them off. Same sort of price as Oxford ones...and so much better.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
That's my next job: fitting a relay.  I left the darn things on all day at work.  There's me trying to push start it when a work mate gave me a shove.  Good man.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

I have always plcked up a live from the feed to the front brake switch and never had a problem, they usually have a 10A fuse in.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 05:13:38 PM »
That's my next job: fitting a relay.  I left the darn things on all day at work.  There's me trying to push start it when a work mate gave me a shove.  Good man.

Been there done that to many times. Now I always wire in an extra fusebox and relay
I like these as they look factory and blend in well
https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/701/category/37

I wish Guzzi new what superseal connectors were as they face far to many molex plugs in to the wind and rain.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »
You can always bin the Molex plugs and fit Superseal Mick. Best get the proper ratchet crimps though.

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »
Not 400four related but I bought some NOS Oxford heated grips for the GPZ as that's the bike that gets ridden in all the shite weather.  One day, the starboard grip stopped heating, followed by a complete failure.  It didn't take long to find the cause, it was the crappy electrical connectors: the pins had pulled out of the blocks.
I wasn't impressed with the connectors in the first place being not at all waterproof.
I binned those in favour of Superseal connectors and haven't had any bother since

I've used the Superseal Connectors on our Jeeps- it took me a coupe of goes to fit the connectors correctly - suitably soldered rather than crimped fiddly to fit but worth the effort. Not sure mine were the real deal or Chinese copies !
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal