Author Topic: help please electrics dead  (Read 3200 times)

Offline flowman

• View Profile
help please electrics dead
« on: November 02, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »
why do I tinker about with motorbikes ? the indicator switch seemed a bit unreliable so I unscrewed it to have a look found an old repair to one of the wires which seemed pretty sound so I taped it back up again and tried the flashers, right flashed ok left flashed once then no more, so I had a look at the fuses none where blown but funny thing is where the 7amp fuses should be for headlight and taillight 15amp fuses were fitted and where the 15 amp main fuse should be there is a 20amp one. I replaced fuses bike still dead I mean everthing is dead ignition lights everything, battery is good but I gave it a charge up anyway but didn't help, so anyone have any ideas ? (apart from stop tinkering) sorry this post is a bit long but I didn't want to leave anything out.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: help please electrics dead
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Put a voltmeter on +ve battery terminal and the other probe on an unpainted part of the bike (I use the cylinder head) and see if you have a voltage, clean the copper prongs that hold the fuses, sounds like a bad main connection probably the earth it was on my 400.
Cheers

Dave

Offline flowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »
thanks I'll try that but I'm on lates this week so not till Sunday hopefully

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 11:11:16 AM »
Had something similar on mine, the fuses we not blown, the fuse block and "prongs" looked fine until I had a look at the back of it, here it was quite corroded, a clean up and re solder of the connections and all was well.

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline flowman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
thanks Den hopefully I'll get time on Sunday to clean up around the back of tht fuse box

Offline flowman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 04:27:27 PM »
electrics all fine now not quite sure why though, earth tested good, fuse box connections all good, went back to the turn signal switch where I was when things went wrong must have been a short in there somewhere but I'm not sure why that would put everything out and not blow a fuse ? still gave me a good opportunity to familiarise myself with the electrics and fit correctly rated fuses, thanks to all who read/replied.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »
Good news with the electrics problem.

Cheers

Dave

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
hope the gremlins stay away for good this time, I've often found the fuses to be the first culprit, but a dodgy wire or connector can cause these problems, and can sometimes drive you nuts, hopfully your bike will remain sorted - there's not mutch more agrevating than an intermittent electrical fault.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal