Author Topic: Electric rattle guns - recommendations please??  (Read 4475 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Electric rattle guns - recommendations please??
« on: December 26, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »
Hello All,
Hope you had a good day yesterday. I did and got an Amazon voucher in amongst all the socks and scarves.
I have been thinking about getting an electric rattle gun as I've struggled with rusty nuts on bikes (and cars) since about 1968 - I've rounded more corners than Lewis Hamilton. It will have to deal with hub nuts, clutch centre nuts and wheel bolts.
The questions are:
  -  Best brand - I want to stick to De Walt, Makita, Ryobi if possible.
  -  Corded or cordless - I favour a corded one as I don't want yet another battery charger.
  -  Budget is about £100 - £125.
Any recommendations or advice welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Have a good new year (its got to be better than the last one...)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 08:50:40 AM by SteveD CB500K0 »
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Electrc rattle guns - recommendations please??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 09:43:10 AM »
Not sure if machine mart have any offers on at the moment, but mine is from machine mart and is awesome...

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cir18lic-18v-brushless-2ah--impact-wre/

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Electrc rattle guns - recommendations please??
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 10:18:53 AM »

just a word of warning if you are ordering off the internet in that price range check what drive they have as some have  1/4" hex drives.

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 10:26:44 AM »
I ONLY use Ryobi ONE+ items... I have one battery charger and 3 batteries for Drill, Angle Grinder, 3/8" rattle gun, 1/2" Rattle gun, Jig Saw, sander, and last one (for now) 165mm Circular saw.
I also have garden tools that use the same 18v battery system.
We get 6 years warranty here on the skins at least, not sure on the battery.

So far I havent had an oz of trouble and I have given them all a pretty decent workout. Not sure how pricing stacks up between Aus and UK but I find the Ryobi gear to be excellent value for money.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 01:13:48 PM »
Normally I too rather stick to brand MFGs, but at the price of € 39.90,- a thing from LIDL jumped on me...
Turns out that this Parkside item beats my air-powered rattler by far...
the lock-nut of a '96 ST1100 clutch-basked was open within the fraction of a second... same on loosening the damper bolts on a CX500...

If only used occasionally those knock-offs will serve OK, but I see issues with (battery) comparability, lifetime and of course support on spares later on...
STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2020, 02:17:25 PM »
Normally I too rather stick to brand MFGs, but at the price of € 39.90,- a thing from LIDL jumped on me...
Turns out that this Parkside item beats my air-powered rattler by far...
the lock-nut of a '96 ST1100 clutch-basked was open within the fraction of a second... same on loosening the damper bolts on a CX500...

If only used occasionally those knock-offs will serve OK, but I see issues with (battery) comparability, lifetime and of course support on spares later on...
I think it all depends how often you use tools as to how much you pay for tools like electric drills, etc. For example, I had a decent drill that broke about 10 years ago and I had to buy a drill quickly. I bought a  drill from 'wilko' for about £15 (their own brand) - I have absolutely battered it over the years (particularly sideways presure using rotary wire brushing work). Its still going and I'll just bin it and buy another cheapo. If I was using it everyday (like I did when I was an engineer), I would buy a really good quality item.
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 03:13:23 PM »
I have a Kielder 1/2 Drive it's metal not plastic so has some weight to it. I also have a"free" 1/4 Hex Drive Mulwakee that came with a drill deal. The Kielder is far superior I bought it mainly for rotating the wheels on our Jeeps using a torque stick.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 03:53:40 PM »
There is such a range of these things, drive type, battery/no battery, charger/no charger, available/not available. Tried to order a Ryobi from B&Q last week at £150, no stock. So this post was very timely for me. So have ordered the Clarke from Machine Mart due before 5th Jan. Keep coming across stuck screws and figure I'll keep doing so decided it's time to buy one. I have a Vessel impact JIS screwdriver but it needs quite a whack to engage the drive and for me, it feels like too much of a risk hitting screws that hard on some parts of the crank case.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 04:08:07 PM »
I have a Clarke Jet Washer it over 20 years old - still works fine though I did replace the Lance. They seem to put their name to well made stuff.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 08:51:58 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2020, 04:25:00 PM »
A rattle gun has become a must with modern bikes to get the front sprockets off.
All of my battery tools are 18v Makita as I think there balanced better then Dewalt and most other makes.
Don't dismiss the tidler 1/4 drives there handy little things as they can get into tight spaces.

My brothers 1/2'' drive Snap On will spin the car round and round untill the head shears off if bolts are rusted solid.  ;D
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2020, 08:16:01 PM »
But i had a snap on one that with new battery would not undo the crank bolt on my L 200 pickup, having said that i think they are the best battery one but also most expensive

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2020, 08:57:09 PM »
But i had a snap on one that with new battery would not undo the crank bolt on my L 200 pickup, having said that i think they are the best battery one but also most expensive.

I had one stupidly tight wheel bolt on the SL after having a  set of tyres fitted in 2019 - my tools would not shift it so the son of a good friend came round with his Professional Grade Milwaukee Impact driver. He undid it whilst holding the tool with one hand impressive tool but very expensive! I put it down to youth as I could barely hold the tool with one hand it was that heavy!

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »

I have gone off getting battery tools for home and have gone back to tools with leads. I always have power at home and don't have to think about flat batteries or replacing them.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »

I have gone off getting battery tools for home and have gone back to tools with leads. I always have power at home and don't have to think about flat batteries or replacing them.

That makes sense but sometimes not being tied to a cord such as in the garden or on the front drive can be useful.
That said my SDS Drill/Chisel  has a lead it's an awesome tool.

I also think leads are essential to cut in two when using hedge trimmers - you then have the joy of feeling stupid at no extra cost.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 10:58:31 PM »
£59.68 for a Clarke one.  I should have asked Father Christmas.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal