Author Topic: Plugs / caps / HT leads  (Read 1882 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Plugs / caps / HT leads
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 08:52:59 AM »
Facing rearwards, the cable exit points are shielded by the coils.  Facing forwards, the force of the wind drives rainwater and salty spray into any tiny spaces.
Fit them forward if you want but I wouldn't.  I had to call the RAC out once for that reason.  Luckily, it was close to a very good pub.  It took the breakdown guy 3 pints to show up.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
Always carry a small wd40 under the seat

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 11:00:23 AM »
Hi and happy Xmas everyone, I'm going to treat the 400F to a set of new spark plugs, caps & HT leads - not as straightforward as I imagined!  I've read several posts about plug types, 'R' plugs, resistor caps, don't mix them, etc, but I can't track down an accepted best solution - is there one please?  I notice DS stocks only NGK DR8ESL 'R' plugs, but 2 types of NGK caps - are they all compatible?

Also I've never had to make HT leads before (1st bike project, it's a lot easier with cars!) - the coils on the bike have what I would call a male conductor fitting:
(Attachment Link)

but so does all the HT cable I can find for sale, eg:
(Attachment Link)

Again, are they compatible?  Is there a thread that covers best practice for making leads please?

Apologies for the newbie questions!
Darren.

Back to original post... those HT leads aren't male connectors, that's the copper wire left sticking out. Cut the HT lead straight across the end and then screw it into the coil fitting. The coil screw should line up with the copper core to make the connection.

Just out of interest, how old are you Darren? 🤔
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 11:41:33 AM »
Adding to the above,  I've been using silicone grease (from plumbing supplies) in these weather exposed connections as it's virtually impervious to water ingress, plus doesn't affect rubber components either.

Particularly good on anything like this on cars as well for abs sensors, ignition, and any other underside exposed electrical on old classic vehicles.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 12:09:51 PM »
I've stopped using silicon in favour of Sticks like Sh*t.
SLS actually adheres to things, unlike silicon.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline daz-j

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »

Back to original post... those HT leads aren't male connectors, that's the copper wire left sticking out. Cut the HT lead straight across the end and then screw it into the coil fitting. The coil screw should line up with the copper core to make the connection.

Hi thanks, I'd dug a bit deeper and come to that conclusion, I'm 54 next month but new to motorcycles.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2021, 12:51:45 PM »

Hi thanks, I'd dug a bit deeper and come to that conclusion, I'm 54 next month but new to motorcycles.

Just wondered. That fitting was pretty standard in 60s and 70s on British cars and bikes with Lucas type coils.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline daz-j

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 06:49:29 PM »
Just wondered. That fitting was pretty standard in 60s and 70s on British cars and bikes with Lucas type coils.

Had a few late 70's Fords and Minis back in the day (wish I still had them!) but don't recall ever having to make up HT leads.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2021, 12:50:16 PM »

Had a few late 70's Fords and Minis back in the day (wish I still had them!) but don't recall ever having to make up HT leads.

I remember in the early 70's I used to work part time in a car accessory shop, and if you didn't feel like making up your own HT leads, then we stocked a nice display rack of most of the popular leads already made up. You just looked through a flip chart to find the code letter and number for the lead you needed. I think that was the beginning of the end for making your own leads.  Great days for owning cars and bikes, there were so many accessories and gadgets that could be purchased, nowadays it's all fitted as standard.

Offline Erwin83

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2021, 01:29:26 PM »
I got the correct plugs and caps from here:

(Attachment Link)

https://www.gsparkplug.com/ignition/spark-plugs

There are two different pattern plug-caps used, 2 90° and two at about 45°

To my experience, the straight caps work better for Cyl 2 and 3. I get a weird bend in the plugwire when using an angled cap.
Those are SD05F (instead of the XD05F).
Cyl 1 and 4 take the VD05F.
CB466f - KTM 1190 advR

Offline daz-j

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 06:16:25 PM »
To my experience, the straight caps work better for Cyl 2 and 3. I get a weird bend in the plugwire when using an angled cap.
Those are SD05F (instead of the XD05F).
Cyl 1 and 4 take the VD05F.

Hi thank you, I did wonder about that - even though the Honda routing diagrams show all the caps to be angled, whether straight would be better for 2&3. In the end I ordered the angled ones, and 2m of HT lead to play with, aiming to remount the coils backwards as previously discussed. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal