Author Topic: Piston ring querie  (Read 513 times)

watty51

Piston ring querie
« on: December 29, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
Hope you all had a good Christmas.
Just doing some “service data” checks on my Cb350f.
Pistons (standard) look in good condition and mileage showing is 14000 miles.
During the piston ring end gap check all of the piston rings were well within spec 0.25 mm (see photo)
Reading some of the forums before some people recommend changing all of the rings anyway if they have been disturbed ?

The bores all look ok but are a bit glazed, so maybe need to be lightly honed. (See photo)
What do you think/ recommend?
Many thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Piston ring querie
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »
If they are in spec and you can put them back where they came from its OK to reuse and if you reuse you do not hone

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:22:20 PM »
Ordinarily and after running in,  the piston rings would have adopted any discrepancy in ovality etc by the ring wearing to accommodate this via the bore cross hatching.
After this stage, the bores will look more polished and lacking any significant edges to the hone marks as that process effectively concludes.

The above then leaves the best quality seal, if it worked properly,  but with each ring remaining in it's original position in rotational datum to the bore that has just honed it to this finish.

When you remove the rings it's unlikely that you'd get this register back, now making that best seal possibly out of reach.

Ideally you'll need to reproduce the hone "teeth" to enact that process again. It's possible that the existing rings could be reused as they'll cut again, but quite what the end gap will get to is unknown (they don't change that much). Also a a consideration is that IF the rings have any significant ovality from original running in,  then that error would have to be taken out by this process too.

You'd have to hone and reuse the rings,  or hone and new rings.  The risk is lowered compression etc if they don't seal well.

It's not a huge risk, more that you'd kick yourself if you had to pull it apart again if you were unhappy with the outcome.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 06:23:50 PM »
Apologies,  crossed over with Bryan there.

I wasn't quick enough on the draw  ;D

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
I got no problems with different ideas, way back wen i were a lad removing rings and cleaning ring grooves was part of a top end and unless rings were broken just put them back.
Also even if new rings best the bore got was glaze busted with a flap wheel

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 09:30:26 PM »
I'm  a bit puzzled why you dismantled the top end at 14k miles. Was there a problem with the engine?
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 09:40:12 PM »
Piston ring ovality will never be a real problem on these bikes, as the rings tend to rotate more/faster at higher revs AND loads, search google for "rotating piston rings" , most research is done with, in our eyes, very low revs.

watty51

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:25 PM »
 Thanks for the replies

I had to dismantle the top end due to cylinder head removal to sort out the spark plug threads.

I decided to replace the base gasket just in case the cylinder head removal had disturbed it. While I was sorting that out I thought just check all tolerances/specs, before putting it all back together.

Not sure which way to turn with the piston rings but I think the mileage is accurate, so will have a think about that one.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal