Author Topic: Yamaha SR500 78’  (Read 793 times)

Offline 1234pot

• View Profile
Yamaha SR500 78’
« on: January 03, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »
Hi Everyone - Any SR 500 enthusiasts out there?

I’m struggling to find an original helmet holder and left hand grab rail for a 78 T reg single. Not the most fashionable old girl but she has her place in history and definitely worth preserving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha SR500 78’
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 08:15:41 PM »
When i have time i will come back and tell you some stoties of mr Dundtal and one of those

Offline 1234pot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 08:38:33 PM »
Look forward Bryan - Thanks

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:41:45 PM »
OK, first night back on Monday so trying to stay up late.

Way back when i worked for Neil Fraser who owns the Kawasaki dealership in Glos called "The Motorcyclist" but at the time he wasnt franchised to any make and we made our reputation by trawing Birmingham and London collecting spares every week, plus odd bikes from dealers like Slocombes, Fowlers, Bill Smith and many more plus regularly went to Erith to vist Paul Dunstall for exhausts and anything good.
One day Neil came back with several bikes on the trailer including Pauls German 900 show bike another full duntall bodied bike(Suzuki i think) and a P reg SR 500, me being my normal polite self said How Much for that lot and was told Paul told him to take them away and send whatever he got for them less a percentage.
I rode the SR around a bit and realised it was not quite standard and things must have been done as well as the, noisey, Dunstall silencer, it would pull a wheelie in 3rd just be opening the throttle!!!
Eventually sold it and rang Paul for the V5 and details on what had been done to be told we aint got a V5 it was never registered thats just a plate that was hanging about i will send you the paperwork to register it, oh and its been gasflowed polished and a special US piston fitted, embarasing time expaining to the purchaser that it wasnt the reg that was on it and he was getting a "new" bike with 5,000 miles on it.
Off it went but came back 3 months later not running to find the Devcon F used to build up the bas of the inlet tract to improve flow had disloged and was holding the inlet valve open, easy fix removed said Devcon and off it went with maginally less power(unoticable).
Fast forward 3 yrs and man comes in on a Saturday(by this time i worked for Mead and Tomkinson but as i lived over the shop at Frazers helped out on Saturdays) wanting a 400 four and i recognised him as the SR buyer so asked him if he was trading it in to be told it was in boxes after ther piston exploded so i bought it privatly from him fitted new rod kit, new piston and barrel gaskets etc and rode it for two years, this was just when they were getting upset about loud bikes and kept stopping me but could do sod all about it as it was registered new as a "Dunstall Yamaha" and that noise maker had always been on it.
Only fault i had with it, and couldnt cure, was a slight miss when running high revs---- never failed me and everything tested out OK would have one back in a heartbeat but they are now cult status and too expensive.

REMEBER
Always kick it all the way to the bottom as the mechanism disconects then and it cant kick you back.

Enjoy ityou will have fun.

All the best

Bryan

Offline 1234pot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 11:00:22 PM »
Brilliant Bryan. Great bedtime story.
I really enjoy riding it but that kickstart will be the death of me!! Guaranteed to embarrass at all times

All original at 29k, I’m going to refurb the motor and get it set up properly to save my blushes!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »
Valve stems indent so you need to do tappets by feel instead of gauges, ignition very rarely fails apart from plug cap, carbmay need a good clean as it is quite aged, but not as much as me.
Starting was always a knack you need that white mark in the window and a hefty leg.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal