Author Topic: What is the word?  (Read 1754 times)

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
What is the word?
« on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:57 AM »
What is the word for the extra 'skin' around the OEM HT plug wires. I need them in black for my spark plug wires, ID 7mm, preferably in silicone quality. I don't know the word (sleeve?), let alone where I can find them. BTW, I don't need them numbered (my bike originally never had them numbered). I just need them as an extra shield against dirt, grease and whatever.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the word?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 09:39:29 AM »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 09:42:13 AM by Trigger »

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 10:56:25 AM »
I found silicone tubing on EBay and used that.
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 12:24:53 PM »
I used the silicone tubing as well as it needs to be the .5mm wall thickness.
Cant remember where it was from but Ash gave me the link. :)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 12:32:13 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. I consider replacing the green 3Ω Dyna coils by the OEM TEC coils that I've kept stored. The only good thing about the Dyna's are the Dynatek silicon wires and plugcaps that are superb. But... there are also things against: you need the R sparkplugs that I'd rather avoid and those silicon HT wires are thus supple that they can wave quite a bit in the riding wind. You could sheath them with a somewhat stiffer tube and therewith hide the yellow colour. The wires of the OEM coils are stiff as a dead parrot. Mine need new sheaths. Although I haven't bench tested them yet, resistances are within specs. I have no doubt they'll still function. Although the 3Ω Dyna coils in theory can store quicker and more energy, I never noticed any difference in practice. Also every time I had the tank removed, I hated the looks of them. Where the stock coils are modest, the Dyna's are - like so many American consumer goods - very bulky. Next spring I could do a comparison test. 

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 12:48:54 PM »

Same as I gave to Trigger see above post
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 03:14:15 PM »
I'll keep that in mind. Actually I hope to find something a bit thinner than 1mm and I prefer heat resistant silicone over nylon. A width of 9,5mm in total is a bit much imo.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:21:30 PM »

I thought the link you sent me Ash was, Hill Top >>> https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html

But, i think you commented on that it was not Black, Black  ;)

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:55:11 AM »
Hill Top >>> https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html
According to the specs, that's what I need, but... is black really black?
As said I'd like to reuse the old OEM coils. I'd like to find some of that what seems braided around the blue and B/W wire. I need it also for around a POS wire that runs to my transistor ignition module. BTW, does any of you guys remember where those two clips are supposed to sit? Curious, the 2+3 coil doesn't have them.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:58:24 AM by deltarider »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 12:28:37 PM »

I thought the link you sent me Ash was, Hill Top >>> https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html

But, i think you commented on that it was not Black, Black  ;)

Yes ..sorry you are correct ...It's the black silicone stuff i linked you to (which should last forever) but not jet black. What's the semi-rigid stuff like ? How rigid is it compared with original rubber sleeving ?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:12:51 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 10:33:46 PM »
Hill Top >>> https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html
According to the specs, that's what I need, but... is black really black?
As said I'd like to reuse the old OEM coils. I'd like to find some of that what seems braided around the blue and B/W wire. I need it also for around a POS wire that runs to my transistor ignition module. BTW, does any of you guys remember where those two clips are supposed to sit? Curious, the 2+3 coil doesn't have them.

Are you still running your own ignition with these coils?

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,162724.50.html I was reading through this thread which I found very interesting, and as it's the same forum name thought it would be the same poster.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 07:48:02 AM »
That transistor ignition has been on my bike for at least 20 maybe 25 years and has always worked flawlessly. I had to replace some wires a few years ago, but that's because I had used old wires that had already been stiff back then. The unit is utterly reliable, provides a short rise time of about 25 µs and a burn time of well over 2000 µs. There is nothing extra to gain by having other pricy aftermarket EI's. I choose for this one, because in those years I used to travel to far away countries and I wanted to have a back-up when needed. I can return to the old system within a few minutes if ever the module would fail. This never happened. The breakerpoints live forever and now are close to 60.000 kms. I like to make things myself when possible. The first one I assembled, was actually on my Peugeot 504 GL, that succesfully crossed the Sahara desert.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,15948.msg175492.html#msg175492
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:20:44 PM by deltarider »

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »
Maybe I have missed it, but are these https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html black or not? What does 'not jet black' mean?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 07:58:49 AM »
Maybe I have missed it, but are these https://www.hilltop-products.co.uk/silicone-rubber-tubing-black.html black or not? What does 'not jet black' mean?

It's great stuff but compared with the original stuff  it has a slightly grey tinge to it and is not gloss black. TBH it's what I use as it's physical properties are far superior to the original rubber. Having said that the original rubber seems to survive really well. It's the PVC cover on the original HT cable which goes rock-hard.

Still waiting to hear from Trigger about the stuff he linked too which is Nylon and I fear may be too rigid..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:15:02 AM by AshimotoK0 »

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »
Thanks for clearing that up, Ash. I don't like grey so I'll look further. The irony is, that I now know the English, but not the Dutch word for it.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 01:22:34 PM by deltarider »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal