Author Topic: Hello- is there any body out there?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Hello- is there any body out there?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »
Its got three speeds Ted. If you have it on high and with max humidity level of 40% it will use power. I have mine on the lowest settings and whilst its not warm in the garage and the air is still cold it is what I would describe as 'dry cold'. There is no dampness whatsoever and it's the damp air that causes the problems. An example is the bed of my lathe, it kept going rusty unless I covered it in oil but now it stays dry and no more rust. Imagine what damp does to the cylinder bores of your bike with open valves  :-\
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline waffey

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 01:48:26 PM »
Hi, been in my workshop (all be it very briefly) still working on the Honda. I'm now needing to get my carbs back from my friend who has washed them in the sonic bath.

Next jobs are

Fit tyres and get them checked by local dealer (spokes and balancing)
Front brake installation (need parts)
Idiot lights and clock refurbish (finish this job off)
New seat and parts
Vapour blast engine case
Start building bottom end

Walk the Jack Russell!
Bikes:
Triumph Street Twin
Suzuki Address 110 Scooter
Suzuki TL1000s
BMW R1200GS LC
Honda CB400 F2 1977 (restoration underway)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 04:50:04 PM »
I don’t have power in my garage and use a 12v leisure battery and solar charger for lighting.

I currently use those crystals-in-a-box “dehumidifiers”. They must work given how quickly they get converted into liquid slush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can cover the bike with an old duvet and then tumble dry it once a week,  it's pretty effective at taking moisture away from the bike.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 05:04:46 PM »
Dave. It's described as a desiccant dehumidifier does that mean you have to change the desiccant at regular intervals or does it take care of itself. Also, how often do you have to empty it.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 05:45:16 PM »
The other benifit we seem to get with dehumidifier in our retail (not work!) shop is it warms up quicker. Theory is i spose you are not heating damp air so less energy needed? Works for us and money well spent.
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 08:41:18 PM »
Dave. It's described as a desiccant dehumidifier does that mean you have to change the desiccant at regular intervals or does it take care of itself. Also, how often do you have to empty it.

The desiccant is on a circular disc. This is heated to dry it (hence the heat the dehumidifier produces as a result. So in answer Roy, no you don't need to do anything. All you need to do is to clean the filter every now and then to prevent it blocking up. I clean mine with a hoover once every couple of years. The usual problem with these is the desiccant disc overheats due to poor airflow and they are destroyed as a result but.....mine is over 10 years old and never let me down. Even taking into account if I paid £250 for it that works out £25/year to own. It costs £100’s to rebore rusty cylinders due to damp. To me it's a no-brainer.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »
I don’t have power in my garage and use a 12v leisure battery and solar charger for lighting.

I currently use those crystals-in-a-box “dehumidifiers”. They must work given how quickly they get converted into liquid slush.

You can cover the bike with an old duvet and then tumble dry it once a week,  it's pretty effective at taking moisture away from the bike.
WOW!! Can you get the whole bike in, in one piece, or do you have to dis-assemble it first?  Stay safe, and welcome to 'lockdown lunacy'

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 11:05:11 AM »

A friend of mine uses a horse blanket over his bike. I've never ridden a horse but apparently a horse blanket prevents damp penetrating below the top waterproof cover. He's never washed it in a washing machine as its too big and very heavy. I just think such a big and heavy blanket would be a PIA to take on and off a bike and likely to scratch it if its pulled over a wet, dirty floor whilst removing it. Homer Simpson had the best idea when he won a Harley, he had it next to his bed with the engine idling, Madge didn't seem to mind!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Dave

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
I bought a desiccant dehumidifier (MEACO) some time ago and it's fantastic.  Desiccant dehumidifiers are more expensive to run than compressor based dehumidifiers but desiccants have the advantage they can work down to about 1 degree.  They also have the benefit of heating the garage up very slightly (because it uses a heater element).

Not only does it keep the garage dry it makes it much nicer to work in (even when it's quite cold) - the air is not damp. None of my tools / bike parts rust in the winter now! It does not run all the time - once the target humidity is reached it shuts down. I have a hose connected to the outside world so I do not even have to empty the built in collector - set and forget!

My garage is not insulated, so it's quite expensive to run (about £15.00 PM) on its lower setting. But honestly, it really has made such a massive difference I do not mind paying that at all...

Dave
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:59:06 AM by djb »

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 04:07:06 PM »
I bought a desiccant dehumidifier (MEACO) some time ago and it's fantastic.  Desiccant dehumidifiers are more expensive to run than compressor based dehumidifiers but desiccants have the advantage they can work down to about 1 degree.  They also have the benefit of heating the garage up very slightly (because it uses a heater element).

Not only does it keep the garage dry it makes it much nicer to work in (even when it's quite cold) - the air is not damp. None of my tools / bike parts rust in the winter now! It does not run all the time - once the target humidity is reached it shuts down. I have a hose connected to the outside world so I do not even have to empty the built in collector - set and forget!

My garage is not insulated, so it's quite expensive to run (about £15.00 PM) on its lower setting. But honestly, it really has made such a massive difference I do not mind paying that at all...

Dave

My garage is a double with an up & over door - I guess if I use this door it will up the running costs.

Have you added extra door seals or anything?

I have a side door access so it might make better sense to use that as access to keep the running costs down as I've ordered one the place in Wales have no stock of the Ruby Dry - they say supply is very short with no more expected until Autumn 2021. He was a good salesman as he has talked me into a DD3 Classic Mk2 it should be here in a couple of days. I'm thinking it will help the storage of our Merc as well as we do not use it in the winter - it sits under a breathable cover.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Dave

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2021, 09:36:09 AM »
Hi Ted

You raise a good point regarding seals.

Normally in a cold garage you probably would want air from the outside circulating to prevent the build up of damp / mould etc. When running a dehumidifier, you definitely want a closed system i.e. no leaks else you end up trying to dehumidify the outside world, which would be expensive ;-)  I wouldn't get hung up about opening doors but clearly a side door would be better than an up and over door in terms of letting in damp air from outside. The main thing is when the dehumidifier is running, your garage is sealed.

In reality this can be a challenge. I have a side door and roller shutters on the main door.  I don't have windows. The original side door was crap and didn't fit at all properly. I got a steel door from Lathams online (I have no affiliation with them). Best thing I could have done. Easy to fit (you will need a mate to help handle it) but it's sealed all around the door (like a uPVC door but much, much cheaper).  It's also much more secure.  The roller door has brushes but it does let air in, but overall I am happy with the set-up I have. 

Dave

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2021, 11:36:20 AM »
Has anybody got any experience of insulating metal up and over doors. Thinking of appx 25mm Kingspan mounted with that pin system with a sticky base You simply pierce through the insulation and bend the end over. Any other suggestions?

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
Has anybody got any experience of insulating metal up and over doors. Thinking of appx 25mm Kingspan mounted with that pin system with a sticky base You simply pierce through the insulation and bend the end over. Any other suggestions?

Tim, I used 25mm kingspan for the walls and floor but for the double up and over garage door I used some material I bought from Wicks. It's comes in the form of a roll like roof insulation. It's silver backed both sides and I think it contains 11 layers of insulation but its really thin, no more than about 10mm. Apparently it was developed by NASA!! I used 50mm sticky aluminium tape to secure it the outside edges and centre section of the door. My thoughts are it's as good as if not better than 50mm Kingspan at keeping heat in. I use the door all the time and it has never even looked like falling off. I think I paid about £40 for a roll of it about 6 years ago. There was enough left over after covering the double door and the side door to have covered the same again.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2021, 12:21:16 PM »
Just been into the garage to take a photo!

1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2021, 12:38:44 PM »
Top tip Dave. What Brand of toothbrush do you use to clean the garage then... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal