Author Topic: disk drilling  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
Re: disk drilling
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »
Well my front brakes are dragging (blasted winter salt has made the aluminiun go furry) so it's time to take the caliper off and strip it so while I'm there I might try putting on the drilled disk and see if it's better.

A friend of mine turned up at my place one day many moons ago & I noticed that his front disc of his CB750F1 was sizzling in the rain. I asked him about the brake & he said that the pads were only lasting about 1000 miles & that his top speed was down to about 80mph. As he wasn't mechanically minded I asked him to go & make the tea & by the time he returned with the refreshments the piston had been removed, the seal cleaned, the seal ring land cleaned, seal lubed with seal grease, newish pads installed, disc deglazed & I was busy bleeding the brake.
His complaint was that the local bike shop had quoted him over
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: disk drilling
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »
Good heavens you work fast, whenever I try to take my bike apart there is always some corroded bolt that refuses to come undone and turns a ten minute job into half a day spent cursing.  Having said that, all the bolts were greased when I put the bike together but then some of them haven't been touched for fifteen years.

I don't think the brakes have been dragging for long, I just noticed it when I wheeled the bike back to get on the other day.  Looking at the caliper it has oxidised quite a bit more than usual this winter and I suspect the pivot at the top is not moving as it should.  One day I will learn and will clean my bike occasionally and perhaps even put it under cover.  Then again it's probably wishful thinking.

What you have said is very useful because it has reminded me that I will need to buy a new piston seal before I take it apart as well as some new brake fluid.

Someone mentioned brakes locking up in the wet.  Can others please confirm this.  The brakes on mine have so far been pretty rubbish so I find this revelation rather surprising.  Does this mean that the only advantage of drilled disks is in wet weather?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal