Author Topic: Kawasaki Z400J1 Restoration  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Kawasaki Z400J1 Restoration
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2021, 12:29:56 PM »
Time for an update and things have been moving on apace over the past week.

I got the cases, barrel, head, cam cover, cam chain tensioner and exhaust collars back from I-Cleenz last week. They have done a fantastic job of the vapour blasting and they do know what they are doing, they left all the internal bearing surfaces well alone just giving the inside of the cases a light going over to remove the residue. All the oil ways were sealed with rubber bungs and when finished everything was cleaned with very hot water and compressed air. The quality of the engine painting is also fantastic and many, many hours were spent by the painter in masking-up. I still cleaned everything three times again when I got them home just to be ultra safe.

On with assembly and everything went back in smoothly with the exception of the countershaft bearing that despite being placed in the freezer for two days and the cases heated refused to go in easily resulting in me making up a suitable drift on the lathe. I used a very thin smear of Hondabond on the cases to join them. I then lifted the bare crankcases in the frame, gez it was heavy, Kawasaki like to make their castings thick and heavy!

On with the pistons, rings and barrels, no problems apart from the pattern gaskets (High Gear, they were the only ones available) not having the cut out on the l/h side as a genuine gasket would do but to be honest I cannot see what the cut out is for, there isn’t an oilway or holding stud anywhere near it and the gasket fits either way up, it’s absolutely symmetrical?

On with the re-assembled head (just a light hand grind of the valves was all that was needed and I 'knocked back' the paint on the top fins at the sides to expose the alloy) and gasket. I didn’t use the High Gear supplied head gasket but an Athena gasket as I trust these, and then on to the cam timing. Haynes explains this subject over three solid pages of text and I had to read it four times to get my head around it. All went well and the timing appears to be spot on.

Today will be spent running the main loom before installing the air box and my least favourite part, having a wrestling match installing the carb bank into a tight fitting space without damaging the surrounding paintwork!

I called the painter today who is still preping the tank, hopefully I should be able to collect within the next two weeks.

I also recieved the overhauled speedo and tacho from Peter Horton, utterly superb, like new, fantastic work from Peter, I can see why he's the 'go-to' man for this type of work.

I have to mention Z-Power, what a great supplier they are. Always willing to speak on the phone, parts appear to be a lot cheaper compared to DSS for the same type of part, ‘normal’ postage charges apply AND...with next day delivery. I ordered a tacho oil seal, a pair of mirrors, oil filter and a couple of screws at 3pm yesterday; they were here at 10am this morning. I’ve had to wait over a week for DSS parts to arrive and that’s after paying the £5.95 standard delivery charge.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »
More progress over the past three days whilst the sun shines and I can still hide in the garage before all the fun begins again in May and I can sit in a pub!

The valves were timed and the cam cover replaced along with the clutch, oil pump, sump pan and transmission cover. I had to buy a 'universal clutch holding tool' in the end as I couldn't get in to lock the engine any other way and I didn't really like the idea of wedging a piece of wood in the drive gear and then applying the 97LB of torque. At least I now have another useful tool in the collection!

Closing the engine up allowed me to install the wiring loom that takes on some strange twists and turns along the frame in order to avoid the airbox. This was followed by my least favourite job, installing the carbs and airbox. Unlike the Honda 400/4 the airbox on the Kawasaki has to go in first making the already tight space for the carbs even smaller! I got there in the end with the help of some WD40 and a mug of tea!

On with the side stand and its Heath Robinson cut out switch arrangement. There are three springs to the side stand together with a sliding bracket and a shaped flat washer that both fit in between the mounting fork of the side stand. All the holes then have to line up to get the main bolt in. I thought installing a side stand would be a ten minute job, it actually took two hours to set up and adjust as I had to remove a lot of the powder coat to ensure it was a sliding fit. 

Next jobs will be to install the instruments & headlight, completing the wiring, bleeding the brakes and maybe turning the engine over without the plugs in to build up oil pressure.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
Dave,
That's looking fantastic - a really nice looking bike all round.
Agree with the carb fitting pain - I can never understand why they couldn't allow a little extra space to allow carbs to be pulled back out of the stubs etc. without a full-on wrestle every time.
All the bikes I've done have had this to varying degrees and I found the 400/4 the easiest so far but still not easy.
Looking forward to seeing the Z400 finished.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2021, 10:53:33 AM »
Thank you friends, if you need a sticker and I can help you, do not hesitate to contact me, do not buy through my Ebay Link, since due to what you already know since the beginning of the year VAT is being applied automatically to all customers in the UK, if you need something ask me from the forum.
Best Regards.
I've recently bought a full set and seat stencil from you via ebay Piki - didn't want to appear cheeky contacting you via the forum - I'll know for the future!
Noooo, any member of the forum is welcome to contact me privately, you will also have better prices than Ebay and especially now due to the famous #@%$
Best Regards

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2021, 12:06:02 PM »
You have my sympathy with the carbs Dave, I just refitted my GS1000 carbs that have the exact same layout. Why do they design them millimetre perfect when a 3mm smaller airbox would make the job easy. I used some swearwords that I hadn't heard myself, not a fun job and takes all the enthusiasm out of the project.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AndyD

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2021, 06:29:37 PM »
Agree Roy,
On the GS1000 and the GSX1100 carb fitting was far and away my least favourite job.
Always feels like you're going to bend or damage something - or do yourself a mischief straining to get the bloody things on or off.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2021, 10:52:51 PM »
After an eight week wait I finally received the new registration document from the DVLA. I must give them credit as they were very good in contacting me for proof of ID rather than just rejecting the application.
I got a number plate made up and fitted yesterday.
Today was the first ride and it went like a dream, very smooth and turbine like, no noise at all, no doubt as a result of the very thick engine castings compared to a Honda 400/4.
I think the bike will now be sold as the BIL doesn't have a motorcycle license and I have enough bikes to look after! Surprisingly to add the bike to my existing insurance policy only cost an additional £6 (+£20 admin fee).
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2021, 11:01:40 PM »
That looks really nice Dave - great job
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
That looks stunning Dave ... wonder if it will end up back in the 'Land of the Rising Yen'  as Eric Trode used to say.  ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline 4wDaz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2021, 11:26:43 AM »
Very nice job, whats the values like for the 400 ? I’ve a Z650 to do but I don’t like to put more into a bike than I can get back out of it but the 650 prices seem low at the minute
Genuine And Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts Supplier

Offline smoothoperator

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2021, 12:52:09 PM »
Great looking bike Dave. Looking back through older posts it was interesting to see how similar the insides of the engine are to the Honda 400/4. Much beefier looking cam chain though.
Steve
2017 Triumph Bonneville T100
1977 Honda 400 Four Restored April 2022

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
Impressive looking build Dave.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal