Author Topic: To soak or not to soak...  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Harold 400/4

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
To soak or not to soak...
« on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:15 PM »
This is way off topic for an SOHC forum, but there is such a wealth of knowledge, Ill ask anyway.
I have a push pull type fuel tap on my 1948 Francis Barnett. I am renewing the corks washers that sit above and below the push pull bit, and act as seals. I have researched on line and there are numerous different views. Some say boil the corks before fitting, some say soak in petrol or water. Others say just fit them as they are.
Does anyone have a view on this? Cheers Harold

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: To soak or not to soak...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 07:51:31 PM »
if they are new corks and in the fuel system, i would suggest soaking in petrol.  i boiled my old panther corks from the clutch plates years ago, but that was to try and make them softer as they go hard and shiny with use. but then again, would they have been soaked in anything at the factory? your choice, i'm afraid!  nice bike though
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »
From experience I would warn against soaking them first as they expand and can then be difficult to fit.

Put them in dry, then switch the petrol tap on and let them soak in place.

Hope this helps

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:06:50 PM by Skoti »
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline Primus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
When I have to empty my BSA tank, I remove the Ewarts tap and store it in a little plastic pot full of petrol and that keeps the cork seal in perfect nick. On one occasion though I thought I had enough in the tank and it dried out and the plunger bit of the tap would actually rattle about so I dunked it in boiling water for a few seconds and the problem was solved.  The only bit I dont like about the Ewarts is the very short pipe attachment.

Paul
All ashore that's going ashore

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 03:22:54 PM »
I used to know a biker who had 'PULL OPEN PUSH CLOSE' branded into his hand, albeit in reverse.

It was caused by him needing to urgently turn off one of those petrol taps on a burning bike.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Primus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »
Been there!  I had to stick my mitt into the flames to turn off the fuel when the carb spit back and burned through the old fabric covered petrol pipe.  This happened during an attempted bump start.  Had to do a full rewire due to the damage.  Luckily my neighbour was watering his garden with a hosepipe.  I was lucky not to go up with it.  Shat myself!

Paul
All ashore that's going ashore

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 08:47:31 AM »
As said, assemble dry, then introduce petrol.

Been there!  I had to stick my mitt into the flames to turn off the fuel when the carb spit back and burned through the old fabric covered petrol pipe.  This happened during an attempted bump start.  Had to do a full rewire due to the damage.  Luckily my neighbour was watering his garden with a hosepipe.  I was lucky not to go up with it.  Shat myself!

Paul

My brother had completed a very nice restoration of a BSA Super Rocket, on first kick it spat back and burst into flames, my stupid reaction was to bang my hand over the carb bell mouth instantly putting out the flames with absolutely no damage. What a numpty, I got lucky, imagine it not going out and me being covered in burning petrol. The joys of open carbs.
I have bell mouths on my 500/4, they have mesh at the back, I like to think of them as flame arrestors rather than filters.
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal