Author Topic: Honda CB250RSA Fuel Tank  (Read 224 times)

Offline MRA464

• View Profile
Honda CB250RSA Fuel Tank
« on: January 13, 2021, 07:56:56 AM »
Hi Guys
Just picked up a project for lockdown.
I am In need of a petrol tank for my CB250RSA, mine has rotted out around the seat area.
Thanks Mark, a newbie to this Forum.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Master
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CB250RSA Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 11:41:24 AM »
Hi Mark and a warm welcome to the forum of fun.

These tanks do come up on ebay from time to time so add a search to your ebay page to get notifications.

I restored my CB250RSA a couple of years ago, heres a link to the thread. You may find this helps you with your restoration.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,11929.0.html

First thing will be to check the cam bearings in the head, they wear very badly due to lack of oil changes especially when you consider the engine only hold just over a litre of oil and it works hard.
Same goes for the rockers as they are in the same location as the cam and suffer the same wear. Newman Cams in Kent can re-profile the cam and the rockers if the are worn (they weld new pads onto the rockers). The cams are not hardened, they are chilled iron and if worn too heavily they are only fit for the bin!

Renew the balance chain whilst the engine is apart, a genuine Honda item from CMSNL is about £280!!!! It's the same chain as a go-kart drive chain, a top range DID heavy duty chain is about £20 but you will have to remove a few links. Andy Chain who frequesnts autojumbles supplied and cut mine to suit.

If the engine needs a rebore try and get a genuine Honda piston and rings. They are big pistons and the bore clearance is tight for a reason, Honda pistons have low expansion rates. I had a blow-up on the motorway with my newly rebored bike all because the 'engineer' who did the rebore decided the Honda specified clearance was much too small and bored the barrel so big the bike used all it's oil in 70 miles! Lesson learnt, I stood over the next guy who rebored the replacement barrel and it's spot on.

The CB250RSA was in my opinion, the best four stroke 250 of the 80's.

Enjoy the rebuild and post plenty of photos. Dont be afraid to ask questions, we are all hear to help :)

Dave

« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 11:44:04 AM by Laverda Dave »
1976 Honda 400/4
1981 Honda CB250RSA
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1982 Laverda 120 Jota
1924 Triumph 550SD
2012 Stanley Battery Drill

Offline MRA464

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 12:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind response.
I will indeed post some pics as I go. The intention is to rebuild it to a good standard, but on a budget.
This is my first restoration so there is likely to be lots of questions.
Which section should I use for rebuild ?
Regards mark

Offline MRA464

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:00:39 AM »
Thanks Menno
I have contacted the seller.
Fingers crossed, the right colour as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal