Author Topic: Just found a way around getting someone’s contact details on eBay  (Read 784 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile

Just found a way around getting someone’s contact details on eBay. A seller sold some TIG welders but I missed out bidding on them … so  I messaged him and asked if he had any more to sell. He told me he has a really nice AC/DC pulsed one to sell me but eBay blocked us sharing contact details. So I took a screen shot of my phone number and bunged it  in DropBox, then I linked to it and included the link in my reply to the seller and it went through fine  ;D.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Just found a way around getting someone’s contact details on eBay
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 11:32:11 AM »
Nice work ash, I see someone on ebay photoshop there number on a reg plate, so they could sell other stuff , I have found if you bid on something ebay , they let you exchange details

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:45:21 PM »
Nice work ash, I see someone on ebay photoshop there number on a reg plate, so they could sell other stuff , I have found if you bid on something ebay , they let you exchange details

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That's right Pete but this was about an item the guy had never even listed.  If you try to include a .jpeg picture in the reply itself and it's not about a listed item or one you have bought they can pick it up and block you.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:54:22 PM »
I came up against this problem, so I told the guy what to Google to find my business website, which has all my contact info, it worked a treat.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 02:22:43 PM »
Their system is trained to recognise email addresses and phone numbers (even if you dress them up).

They can’t “read” an image though (as you have noticed).

Yet.

The tech is there and I’m in no doubt that ebay will pick it up when they believe they need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:53:05 PM »
Their system is trained to recognise email addresses and phone numbers (even if you dress them up).

They can’t “read” an image though (as you have noticed).

Yet.

The tech is there and I’m in no doubt that ebay will pick it up when they believe they need it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you sure Steve ..   I know somebody who has messaged with an attached image with a phone number on it  and it was picked up and blocked . The way I did it was with a Dropbox link to the image

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »
I did it by writing a phone number in text rather than digits - I even split it up with an @!
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal