Author Topic: Accidents whilst working on bikes or cars?  (Read 2083 times)

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Accidents whilst working on bikes or cars?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 04:22:43 PM »
In 1986 as a pillion on an Ariel Leader my best mate hit a Tractor & Trailer he was about to overtake on the exit of a bend. Just as we passed the trailer section it turned right into a field. We struck the rear wheel doing about 50 mph. My mate landed on his back with mild concussion. I was thrown in the air - I struck a gate post with my left leg fracturing my Femur. 3 months in traction in local hospital later they decided to pin the break as it would not knit. 4 weeks in convalescent hospital learning to walk again. Back in hospital a year later to have pin removed. Never been a pillion since.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:32:02 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 05:23:05 PM »
Have you got the K nail?

I got mine somewhere.

That is how I met the present Mrs W.

49 years ago

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
Have you got the K nail?

I got mine somewhere.

That is how I met the present Mrs W.

49 years ago

Wow that's a great story - I kept the "Kuntersnail" in my briefcase for over 10 years moving home several times then when I divorced the briefcase & contents were lost.
Mine was 18" long with a triangular type profile. The scar when they removed it was as long as the original operation as it was well stuck inside the bone. I remember the agony of the post operative pain like it was yesterday.

I was in the old Derby Royal Infirmary Ward 1 where a third of the patients were in traction with similar injuries - when the Matron did the ward rounds she simply asked me
"What make Motorbike was it" lol. Oh the indignity of 3 months of Bedpans for an 18 year old boy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:06:51 AM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:34 AM »
Interesting that. My nail was a little shorter. I only have short legs.

A C section. The exit was a 2" incision in the buttock. Pulled it out from the top.

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
This is one for Mr. Davo   ;D... Harry Hewitt in Coronation street was killed when the jack gave way on a van he was fixing in 1967.  ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 12:43:07 PM »
This is one for Mr. Davo   ;D... Harry Hewitt in Coronation street was killed when the jack gave way on a van he was fixing in 1967.  ;D ;D
I remember that Ash! Jacks and cobbled streets don't mix well!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 06:46:55 PM »
Cobbled streets dont mix with anything except the carthorses they were designed for

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:49 PM »
Cobbled streets dont mix with anything except the carthorses they were designed for
That's why I hate riding up that road through the Tram Museum at Crich, me wheels want to go in every direction at the same time 😁😁😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 07:45:57 PM »
I once superglued my thumb and 2 fingers to my cars roof rack 😂😂
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:54 PM »
That sounds perilous Julie, what about the bikes wheels?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 08:03:28 PM »
Years ago went round to my mate's house to see him, to preserve his dignity I'll call him Pete, well actually that is his name  :) he was out and his mum said he'd just nipped down to the local hospital to have his stomach pumped! "Oh, why was that" I asked. Well he'd decided to test the concentration of his anti freeze with a hydrometer, needing a sample from the car cooling system had decided to suck some out with a tube, and this is where it had gone wrong.

Being nineteen and proud owner of a 3ltr Capri "Flintstones edition" and rusty as hell, this obviously influences the choice of pipe. Garden hosepipe, a long piece (you can see where this is going can't you) bit of a suck and nothing,  goes for a good bit of pace,  a woosh and a glug with something like half litre of output consumed involuntarily and there we go  :)

Soapy water they use apparently to get it all back up,  plus a stay for observation to make sure they'd got it all.

We don't remind it of him at all, even now.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »
Years ago went round to my mate's house to see him, to preserve his dignity I'll call him Pete, well actually that is his name  :) he was out and his mum said he'd just nipped down to the local hospital to have his stomach pumped! "Oh, why was that" I asked. Well he'd decided to test the concentration of his anti freeze with a hydrometer, needing a sample from the car cooling system had decided to suck some out with a tube, and this is where it had gone wrong.

Being nineteen and proud owner of a 3ltr Capri "Flintstones edition" and rusty as hell, this obviously influences the choice of pipe. Garden hosepipe, a long piece (you can see where this is going can't you) bit of a suck and nothing,  goes for a good bit of pace,  a woosh and a glug with something like half litre of output consumed involuntarily and there we go  :)

Soapy water they use apparently to get it all back up,  plus a stay for observation to make sure they'd got it all.

We don't remind it of him at all, even now.

An ex-workmate who is a bit of a boozer came in from the garden hot and sweaty and his wife had just cleaned out the kitchen sink cupboard.  She found a wine bottle with rosé home brew wine in it .. well so she though.. it was actually anti-freeze. My mate swigged quite bit it and then realised what it was. He ended up in hospital overnight and they were convinced he had tried to top himself. Evidently they give you whisky to drink after they pump your stomach out.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2021, 08:47:07 PM »
Wasn't that the Austrian wine scandal?  laced with ethylene glycol to make it sweeter some years back :)

Offline Honda Al

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2021, 08:49:47 PM »
I can’t remember the exact science behind it but anti freeze doesn’t break down in the body naturally and slowly poisons you because it can’t leave the system. So the highest strength alcohol available is used to convert the anti freeze into a substance that can be excreted from the body.

Back in my hospital pharmacy days anyone that had taken an overdose of anti freeze would be treated with high strength alcohol, or an unlicensed infusion from abroad costing thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love a Honda. Proud father of a 2000 Honda CBR929 Fireblade and 1972 Honda CB500 K1. Oh, and two children!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2021, 08:59:42 PM »
I didn't know that, isn't it amazing what turns up on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal