Author Topic: Change of MOT regs  (Read 671 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Change of MOT regs
« on: January 16, 2021, 03:20:39 PM »
I have absolutely no idea if this affect any of our old bikes, even though they are MOT exempt 🤔🤔🤔

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Change of MOT regs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 04:00:56 PM »
Our Jeep (54 plate) has aftermarket LED bulbs fitted to main & dip it passed last week - it's a local garage that I use they seem to adopt a common sense attitude. As long as the dip cut off is okay. Like all MoT test stations there is some variation on adherence to regulations. To check the bulbs on our Jeep WJ involves removing the complete headlamp as there is no rear access. MoT stations also say they cannot check certain suspensio & steering parts due to the body undertray!

Our Merc failed last year at MB main dealer on alleged mis-spaced number plate they the same dealership has passed this vehicle for the last 16 years on the same plates.
I actually think they were wrong so to get the test passed  I put some new alloy plates on the car for it to pass the difference was 4 mm on the spacing between B and the 4 and the end 3 letters. It did not spell a word and was not obviously mis-spaced.

As a mater of anecdotal interest when I was still a serving Police Officer we had notification from DVLA not to prosecute vehicles that had mis-spaced number plates as they were easier to remember by witnesses. That said DVLA still make a big deal about it if you have a cherished number being transferred.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 04:08:10 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Change of MOT regs
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 08:32:17 AM »
Correct Oddjob, Good old DVSA doing a u turn. Think the problem is that bulbs are specified accorning to their wattage, so LED's cannot be compliant unless someone pays for some sort of homologation. Expect to see all LED lights being acceptable in time, asssuming that they meet the pattern.
Must confess that we would probably pass most led setup's if the pattern was good enough. Unfortunately a lot of these have cheap leds fitted and the pattern is all over the place.
Some good quality ones about now, but are expensive.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal