Author Topic: testing engine  (Read 523 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
testing engine
« on: January 19, 2021, 02:13:24 PM »
Is it possible to just wire up a loom purely to test the engine without fully wiring up the rest eg lights, horn, indicators etc etc - have to ask as a senior family member of some years would love to see if it actually runs and as he's not been well it might cheer him up and stop him being sceptical of my mechanical ability or otherwise. ;) If it can't be done I'll just have to crack on!

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: testing engine
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 02:41:56 PM »
Yep, you really don't need much. If you use the kickstart that makes things even easier.

Coil negative connection to points and Positive battery feed to the coils. make sure you have some sort of switch or bullet connector between the coil power and battery so you can kill the engine.

Make sure you have a good strong ground from the battery to the frame and Engine.

I'd also wire the oil pressure light switch up and make sure it goes out before connecting the power to coils. f its the same as the 550 the switch grounds to the engine, so just run the  wire from the pressure switch to the oil light and then other side of the light back out to the battery +.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:16:30 PM »
When I test ran my engine there were no lights connected front or rear, no horn, indicators just basic connections such as ignition switch, alternator connection & coils.

I found having the electric start functional handy for rapid engine cranking.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 03:23:25 PM »
I made this very crude diagram for myself when I wanted to see if my bike ran.

As I said, make sure you have a very good engine ground, especially if using the starter.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »
Yep, you really don't need much. If you use the kickstart that makes things even easier.

Good ideas thanks but eight0 no kickstarter as fitted with rear sets and was in the way!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:57:23 PM by billdn »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal