Author Topic: 750 Ignition coils  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Bristolbadger

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
750 Ignition coils
« on: January 23, 2021, 12:08:55 PM »
Watcha folks, I'm looking for a set of ignition coils for my bike, don't have a fortune to spend and want to retain the points timing. If I understand correctly it's not wise to run 3 ohm coils as they put too much strain on the charging system which is a shame as I have one new 3ohm coil and was going to get another and then the plug caps for both.

However I though I'd see if anyone has a pair of working used 5 ohm they want rid of?... or could point me to a reasonable priced new pair that would fit me.

Cheers in advance,
:)

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: 750 Ignition coils
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 12:55:52 PM »
As I understand it, the 5 ohms requirement is principally because the points ignition system (true for many, not just Honda) have extended dwell time at low rpm.  With 5 ohms allowing longer time to saturate without overheating the coil, you could try pushing the points gap as wide as specification allows, and effectively shorten dwell time to use the 3ohm coils.

It's certainly not a complete balance but could allow you to at least run with them while checking the coils for too much heat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal