Author Topic: CB750 K5 Dilemma  (Read 850 times)

Offline Brett72

• View Profile
CB750 K5 Dilemma
« on: January 24, 2021, 05:19:48 PM »
Evening all. I am in a bit of a dilemma. I bought a K5 frame and lots of bits. I have the title and the nova certificate but it is not UK registered yet. I have fully stripped the engine down which I have found out is a K6 and the case is away being vapour blasted.
My dilemma is whether or not to carry on with the project or sell it as it is with the bits I have already done to it and purchase a bike that I have had in the past that really has me interested.
Any thoughts?

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: CB750 K5 Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:50:56 PM »
If you think of going to your garage in five years time to go out for a ride, which one would you like to find there?

Obviously I don't know the cost of either for you,  or what the other bike is.  Plus the attachment of a previously owned bike can be strong and we can be illogical (well it's all illogical but we know they get under our skin ) about these things too.

Which has the strongest pull once they are both road ready,  which would you get on for a sunny day out?

Offline Brett72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 09:33:17 PM »
Thanks Jedi. it is sound advise like that that i need. I am slowly coming to the fact that i might have to let this go.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 09:36:29 PM »
My thoughts are this; I bought a VFR800 brand new, the first bike I had ever bought straight off the showroom floor. I looked after it and swore I'd never sell it. After 7 years I did the unthinkable and sold it. Why, because I got a bit bored of it and wanted something else. You have to ask yourself why did you sell the bike you now wish to buy back? You sold it for a reason, if it was because you needed the money that's understandable. If you sold it because you got bored of it you probably will again unless it holds sentimental value. Personally I'd restore the bike you have as something different.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Brett72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 09:48:12 PM »
The bike i got rid of was a 600 SRAD and i replaced with an xjr1300sp. I still have that and love to do big trips on it which i used it for a 180 mile commute. The SRAD if i went back to it would be a small fun project and great fun to have small ride outs or even track days.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 08:10:20 AM »
The bike as it is ,is not really worth much and the engine cases are scrap in my book if they have been vapour blasted  :o

Offline Brett72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Why do you think the cases are scrap if they have been vapour blasted?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:56:27 AM »
Why do you think the cases are scrap if they have been vapour blasted?

Because vapour blasting takes quite a few microns off the bearing housings and mating surfaces. Had loads of engine in with problems because they have been cleaned the wrong way  ;)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
There's a couple of bikes, from the many I have owned, that I regret selling and would buy back if I could.

But...If I did ever find my old 1100 Katana, or my old Gpz1100A1 ......what would I do with them? I would have to restore them exactly as they were, so the thing was how I remembered. But, both were sold as they were big, heavy, old school dinosaurs that were too fast for their chassis and brakes, and while I did uses them everyday, I wouldn't be able to now. The KAt went because I had no garage, and had another bike to use during winter...but I had to keep it insured/taxed etc. for fear of theft....and I just couldn;t afford it. I sold the Gpz when I ended up going into central London every day and the running costs were crippling me. If I could have stored them....well...different story. But no garage

They also, I suspect, would not feel the same now. Perhaps the memories are better than the metal would be?

Now I have a new project that I can take in whatever direction I fancy, it's not trying to recreate what I had before, and can be whatever I want. Not...it was that colour, with that exhaust and those bars....oh and I fitted that seat.....

CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »
Who did your vapour blasting and did they vapour blast the insides of the castings as well as the outside? As Trigger implies, blasing the insides is a big no, no. The insides of engine cases shouldn't need blasting anyway as they are not subjected to road salt etc.

When I take my cases for vapour blasting I give them strict instructions NEVER to blast the insides or around any bearing housing be it shell, ball or roller. The company I use is called I Cleenz Machinez based in Penge S.E. London. They are used to doing this type of work on alloy engine castings and are really very fussy. I have never had any problems with their work and I dont know anyone who has. They use old 'blunted' vapour blasting media, new media has sharp edges to clean away scale and corrossion quickly but this can embed itself into the soft alloy of engine castings and especially around bearing surfaces. You might think it's all been cleaned out but when the engine gets warm and media that has embeded itself into the internal walls of the castings can fall out, mix with the oil and then....disaster! There is less chance of this happening if the old media had been used a few times and has lost its sharpness but it takes longer to clean the part. I always clean the castings when I get them back at least three times with jets of soapy water, bottle brushes down the oil gallery, compressed air etc just to make sure any stray media is out. Blind oil galleries is a potential area where media collects and is very difficult to remove as it will be held there by old oil. Blind oil holes should be sealed before blasting. I don't use my parts washer to clean the parts either just in case I do introduce any blasting media to the engine cleaning fluid and contaminate it.

I've always been lucky if that's the word, and never had any problems but there are plenty of people who have suffered with wrecked engines following vapour blasting. There is a well known story from a good few years ago when someone had a CBX engine rebuilt only for it to become toast within a few miles due to blasting media finding its way into the oil after a few miles.

As long as you know who has done the work, their methods AND you clean it up afterwards you should be OK but vapour blasting can be very risky.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 12:41:11 PM »
Ive been thinking about this process. Is it feasible to build the whole motor up as a shell with no "inards", blank all ports and openings off. Then process as a whole? Obvioulsy careful cleaning there after but I would imagine the liklihood of media in oil ways lessened.

I am sure I will be shot down by you clever people out there but seems to make sense to me....
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Brett72

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 02:44:14 PM »
The medium used is a soft silicone apparently and they are aware about the oil ways

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 02:56:34 PM »
Ive been thinking about this process. Is it feasible to build the whole motor up as a shell with no "inards", blank all ports and openings off. Then process as a whole? Obvioulsy careful cleaning there after but I would imagine the liklihood of media in oil ways lessened.

I am sure I will be shot down by you clever people out there but seems to make sense to me....

Same as I did on my CB350K1 & Cb250K0's..I pressurised at a few PSI through the top breather and checked for leaks with soapy water before bead blasting....... blasted down with airline afterwards..washed down with acetone and then blasted again with airline. I just used gaskets coated with white grease and bit's of epoxy-glass circuit boards backed with rubber sheet .. old oil-seals with holes blocked off with bolts & washers/hot melt adhesive on the smaller ones.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:02:45 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal