Author Topic: What process was this? I’ve forgotten...  (Read 625 times)

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
What process was this? I’ve forgotten...
« on: January 26, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
Hello all,
I restored a couple of small Hondas (C100s & C72s) in the late 80s culminating in a CB750 K2 resto in 1989. Frame off, powdercoat, chrome, NOS parts etc, a real proper job and people thought I was a bit mad and wasting money.
Back then there wasn’t much of an ‘after-market replacement’ supply of parts; China hadn’t even got going then. But it was easy because there were plenty of wrecked CB750s and new OE parts that dealers wanted to be rid of as CB750s weren’t as desirable then, as they are now. Trading was conducted by placing and scouring the classifieds in MCN and Exchange & Mart (this was the bible) and using the old school telephone – no internet then… and one of the best deals I got was a full set of four pipes, used but rust free, off a crashed bike for just £75.
Sold it for £1800 when I got into classic cars and really wish I’d kept it, but just didn’t have the room.
The point of this is; that the chap who did my chroming also took my large box of nuts & bolts, put them into a perforated bucket and dipped them in something. A week later, they didn’t come back shiny, but an even silver/grey colour, not unlike galvanizing.
The question is: what was that process: nickelling, zincing, anodizing or something else? Its been 30 years and I’ve forgotten (along with many other things).
As always, all answers gratefully received.
Thanks in advance
Phil
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: What process was this? I’ve forgotten...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:33:25 PM »
I would guess it was zinc plating - relatively cheap (and can be done at home with a home kit if you have patience)
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline 71 V12

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:25:44 PM »
In those days they may have been cadmium plated. Almost non existent now.

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:46:26 AM »
In those days they may have been cadmium plated. Almost non existent now.

Back in the 70s we used to replace chewed engine case screws with cadmium plated Allen screws.
They were widely advertised in the motorcycle mags, pre Internet days of course. Remember COD.?

Cadmium plating is banned now, I  believe,  because it's toxic.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »
Sounds like zinc or cad plate. I got a load of bits done at a local zinc plater and he just popped all the bits in a basket. A week later, they were all done. I asked for bright zinc, but it can be done with many different finishes.
Cadmium is poisonous and you are not recommended to suck on plated bolts  ;D. Believe it is also absorbed through the skin, so doubly dangerous

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal