Author Topic: Finally retired and building my project bike  (Read 3868 times)

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Finally retired and building my project bike
« on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:59 PM »
Just like to thank JamesH again for the fuel tank.👍
I’ve finally retired to Spain and am starting my project build.  I actually did most of the work while working in the Middle East, then shipped it back in bits.
It’s been a long time since I fired tyres to a CB750😀

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Finally retired and building my project bike
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:10 PM »
Built it up to here so far.  I’m going to have to make a decision about the sump on the tank, as I had already made my own battery tray.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:21:55 PM by gamma »

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
Blimey - that was a few years back? (you're welcome). So, where are you at with the build (a CR750 rep from memory?)

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:33 PM »
Great work. Love your helper.

BTW.a warning. I retired several years ago. And have never been busier.

Is there still 7 days in a week?

Not 6 or 5 ?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 05:46:26 PM »
James provided my tank as well! If you fit a CR Rep oil tank in conjunction with CR Rep fuel tank, it pretty much limits battery box position - I had to put it under the seat and go for a small lithium battery (although I don't have a starter motor as I wanted the slimmer race alternator which does away with the starter gears). When I've stopped throwing money at the cb500k2 build, I'm going to fit Andy at Good Bits race alternator conversion to allow starter motor gears - then fit a more powerful lithium battery or be vary imaginative with where to fit a normal sized battery.
Heres my finished bike and if you need any guidance (based on my build anyway), let me know
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 07:16:03 PM »
Excellent bike Phil. Mine won’t be as good, I’m sure. You are right John, I’ve been very busy already in retirement.
Yes, James it was going to be a CR replica, but as time went on and I saw those MotoGP pipes etc: I decided to make it more of a cafe racer..
I got 3 bikes from a scrap yard in Saudi, two F1’s and a K7.  I’ve posted most of the work I’ve done on the American sohc site.
I’ve retired to Spain and will have difficulty getting it road legal.
The engine is 836, I sent the barrels to APE in the states for the rebore and to supply pistons and a webcam 63a.
I sent the head to Mike Rieck in the states too for porting etc: I had a friend who lived in the states, so he took the parts home in his luggage.  I built the engine in Saudi and shipped it back.
I cut bits I didn’t want off of the frame and got it powder coated at Triple S coatings. I polished the wheel hubs and replaced bearings, bought alloy wheel rims off eBay and sent the wheels for lacing at Central Wheel co. I have fitted Bridgestone BT45 tyres. Tarozzi rear sets and clip-ones. I’ve made my own gauges holder and am going to use KOSO Tacho and speedo and a volt meter.
I’ve made my own wiring loom from scratch (I am not an electrician)😀
I had made my own battery tray before buying the fuel tank from James.
I don’t really want to shell out for a CR oil tank, so I’m considering my next move😀
The sump on the fuel tank clashes with the oil tank but I might modify the oil tank to gain clearance, or remove or modify the sump.  And then shift the battery.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:21:42 PM by gamma »

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »
More pics

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 07:26:33 PM »
More pics. I am using the F1 frame with the K7 swinging arm and rear hub, as I wanted shoes at the back, not a disc.  I had to get 10mm machined off of the sprocket side of the hub so that the sprockets will align.
I am also using a Suzuki GT750 rear brake cable
And converted the front to twin disc

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 07:29:59 PM »
More pics

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 01:45:22 PM »
I’ve taken a bit out of the oil tank, not sure if this will be ok?
What do you guys think?

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 02:45:04 PM »
Beautiful work. Love how this is coming together. Tank looks fine to my eye - it's not highly pressurized and the oil line is more than likley to be below the area changed, so even if you had an issue with porosity on the braze line (which I doubt very much) you should be just fine. Keep the pics coming...

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 05:30:53 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem as the tank isn't pressurised. Ordinarily exits to air else it would oppose the scavenge pump from returning the oil effectively, so no problem from that aspect.

Volume,  probably be ok to just keep it at maximum on dipstick to make sure you don't compromise supply level.  Unless you are using a oil cooler as that would give easy compensation volume wise.

Brazing,  needs the heat just a little higher along with better fluxing to get good flow into fillet joint. Possibly some pin holes in it but you could test it by plugging holes and putting a little air in there,  then hold underwater to check for bubbles.

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 08:28:12 PM »
Thanks guys, it is above the oil level and thanks for the advice about the brazing, after I cleaned it up, I did get a leak or two that I had to chase😃. Getting it hotter and cleaner with more flux was the answer.  I am using one of those small benzomatic propane and oxygen rigs.
Now I’ve got to completely redesign my battery tray and electrics, I’d already made one to go in the normal place with my home made wiring.

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2021, 11:06:10 PM »
I used muriatic acid in the oil tank to remove the rust. That worked ok, so I then used jenolite to try and stop flash rusting. It’s made a mess so I think I will look for an oil tank that’s not rusty inside and start from scratch.

Offline gamma

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2021, 08:15:58 AM »
Moving on, after checking what jets etc: come fitted to the carbs and static balancing them, I installed them and started to make spigots, so that I can balance them with gauges

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal