Author Topic: A cb360 side panel repair?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
A cb360 side panel repair?
« on: February 02, 2021, 06:50:48 PM »
So my latest toy arrived several months ago, almost complete - at least it saves the long hunt for those unobtainable parts......
The left side panel does exist.  But in bits.  I can of course use the bike without a side panel but its nice to have one.

Considering how many cb250/360 blue bikes have been made and imported into this country I thought there might be the odd one posted on that favorite site.  So far there has not been a LHS one posted.  Or I have missed it.

So I thought I might have ago at repairing the broken one..... see pic

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Has anybody found a way of fixing these plastic panels. We are not talking "show Queen" bike, so it does not need to be perfect.
With the current/permanent import tariffs/Tax issues I am not so keen on buying from abroad.

Ta
Nairb
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Online SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: A cb360 side panel repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 07:19:21 PM »
I repaired my 550 plastic panels and they have come out perfect with no sign of the repair except on the rear.

I used one of those fibreglass kits from Halfords. Rough the area at the back of the panel up, then cut a wide strip of the fibreglass matting up, mix the resin and apply along the join (it can be done in sections), when dry repeat, 2 layers is enough.

When everything is dry turn it over and with a Dremel cut a shallow V along the length of the join. Then mix more fibreglass resin but don't use any matting. Pour the resin into the V, you'll have to do it in sections as it will want to run out.

I put the resin in after i had it sitting for a couple of minutes so it was just starting to thicken. Once its all filled and slightly proud of the surface, sand it then wet n dry.

Then its ready for paint, no filler required the resin fills the join.

If the panel is still in one piece, just broken almost all the way across (like both mine were in several places), drill the end of the break and countersink the hole on both sides, the resin will fill it. I also drilled every inch or so along the crack and countersunk.

Couple of my panels, this is the panel that only had one crack, other had loads but i don't have a pic at the moment of the back, only the front.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:37:14 PM by SteveW »
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:47:17 PM »
I have some woven glass mat which i used with araldite epoxy and that worked well

Offline heli_madken

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
Before using any fibreglass resin try using some good quality Acetone - https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/pure-acetone. Hold one of the broken sections in position then with a small paint brush 'wick' the Acetone into the crack. The Acetone should initially melt the plastic slightly then solidify which will weld the parts together.

If this works do the same for the rest of the pieces then use some 100g woven glass cloth https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/100g-22-twill-woven-glass-cloth on the back of the panel. Cut the cloth to shape then place it in position, pour some acetone in and work it into the cloth hard which will melt the plastic into the cloth. If you want to, finish off with a squirt of thin CA just to make sure.

I go a stage further and cover the outside using the same principle with 25g cloth, this just makes sure the cracks dont show through your new paint.

I have just repaired a CBX fairing using the same method and it works a treat -

Offline nairb

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 10:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I bought one of those fibreglass kits from Halfords in the end.  All in one box.  Having not done this before I have not made the best of jobs but it is good enough that it fits back on the bike ok.  Much better than having no side panel.

Next time I would do it with smaller fibre glass patches and one bit at a time.  But its a cheap solution.

Where did all those side panels go??.  They did not rust that's for sure.

Ta
Nairb
cb550k3, cl450k5, re5m, xs650xs2, mt500, kettle, gt550 x2,  gt380 Kz750 twin cb360K0

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
I've successfully repaired quite a few panels over the years using a process similar to that used by heli_madken.  I put this bit on my site years ago - unfortunately without pics and since that time have sourced abs rods which I chop into small pieces to be dissolved in the acetone. 
I realise the OP is sorted now but it might help others

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/restorationtips/absglue.htm

Ian

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:16:12 AM »
The car industry have been able to repair plastic parts such as bumpers etc very successfully for some years now. In Derby we have a few firms that provide this service with great results - including painting if you have the paint code. I had an engine cone repaired on my XJ900 at a fraction of the cost of a new one. They call it plastic welding I assume it is solvent based for specific types of plastic.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 09:44:09 AM »
Its actualy heat melting with a filler rod, you have to vee out the crack/split first

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
This one, from off the telly  :) was quite interesting https://youtu.be/90znSPhgiVE

Looks drastic, but effective. 

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »
This one, from off the telly  :) was quite interesting https://youtu.be/90znSPhgiVE

Looks drastic, but effective.

Yes I watched it on the TV series with interest it does look serious drilling all those holes etc.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal