Author Topic: Old Honda Shocks.. anyone else had a go at rebuilding them?  (Read 426 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Old Honda Shocks.. anyone else had a go at rebuilding them?
« on: February 02, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »
Been stripping and rebuilding shocks recently for my '64 CB72, '61 CB92  and '67 Bomber & comparing notes with my mate Graham Curtis, who by sheer coincidence is also doing the same, albeit not for CB92 shocks only CB/CL72 and Bombers.
Really, early Bomber ones do actually strip down quite easily (as do CB92 ones) and on  the later suposedly  'non-rebuildable' ones, we have sussed a way of getting  them apart and totally rebuilding them. But you have to ask the question why they were so crap, damping wise, even from new. I have two sets of Honda style Girling shocks from the late 1960's and although they look totally grotty externally, the chroming on the centre rods is perfect and the damping is still fine and far superior to Honda shocks, even NOS ones. Shame though, as I reckon my particular style of Girlings are truly non-rebuildable as there are really heavily multi-swaged, where the damper rod goes into the sealed top on the  main steel body. So stripping them to chrome the bottoms/adjuster rings, rather than the painted finish (which I wanted to do), is a no-no. Nothing is impossible, I can see a way of doing it but pretty involved and  probably not worth the effort.

Anyone else on here had a go at rebuilding 'non-rebuildable' Honda shocks?  OK... a lot of people are going to say ... just shell out for Hagon's or Ikon's or Far Eastern copies but I want these three bikes to be bog standard.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Skoti

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Old Honda Shocks.. anyone else had a go at rebuilding them?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:53:34 PM »
Over on the Italian website Honda4 fun, there's a tech article on changing the damper oil.
Motorcycling is Life, anything B4 or after is just waiting...

1976 Honda CB750F1

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Old Honda Shocks.. anyone else had a go at rebuilding them?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 09:18:09 PM »
Over on the Italian website Honda4 fun, there's a tech article on changing the damper oil.

I think it's all about replacing the seal too though and replacing the damper rod if it's pitted or otherewise damaged. Will take a look at Honda4 fun though
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal