Author Topic: 400/4 Regulator rectifier wiring m  (Read 1317 times)

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
400/4 Regulator rectifier wiring m
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:32:41 AM »
Just bought new combined regRec unit from DSS . Wiring diagram not really clear how to hook up .main plug 3 yellow 1 red I green . Plus 1 BLACK WIRE splits into 2 . Question where do these go ? Thanks if anyone has fitted on recently .

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 400/4 Regulator rectifier wiring m
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 05:38:36 AM »
Wow , this must be a hard question to answer . Not o e reply so far after 24 hours !

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 07:17:34 AM »
This is the wiring diagram for an Electrex World regulator on a CB 350F. That's as near as I can manage.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 07:20:44 AM by gtmdriver »

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 07:57:18 AM »
Thanks for the picture . My new unit from DSS only has the one black wire with two male spades .I would have thought the Five pin Plug for Harness would just plug straight in . That has the 3 yellow 1 green and 1 Red . The extra Black wire with the Two male spades has me FOXED !

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:02:06 AM »
The Black wore will be the feed from the Ignition for the Voltage Regulator...Not real sure about the 2 spade terminals through.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »
Ask DSS they are very helpful.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
I obtained my one from DSS a couple of years ago, and the wiring info was included in the box, and a lot simpler than I thought it was going to be. The cable with the multi-plug attached I managed to route it over to the left side of the bike which meant I could mount the new unit where the old regulator box was fitted, there being a touch more space there. The only part I had to manufacture (Bodge!) was to make a mounting bracket. Cut and bent an old brass window hinge, rust free and good earthing.   I would be tempted to message DSS and ask if they could email you a copy of the instructions.

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 12:04:43 PM »
Thanks for the info . Instructions came with unit but some one has translated it from Japanese to pigeon English .  The unit on DSS website shows unit with a red/Black wire with two male spade coming off it . The one I received  had a black wire with two spades coming off it . Don’t think it matters what colour the wire is I just need to know where to plug those spades into . The old trgulator still on bike with Green Black White wires coming from harness . Sent DSS email please explain so hopefully I shouldn’ know soon . Thanks again guys and gals

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »
DSS Instrucions . Anyone translate please

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
Second page

Offline SeanFD

• SOHC Member
  • "Still running against the wind"
    • View Profile
    • Belfast-2-Belfast-By-Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 08:33:12 PM »
My best interpretation of that set of instructions is:

• Unplug old rectifier on the right side. remove it and replace it with the new RR.
  • Plug the new connector into the harness from the alternator. (From hard experience, make sure the placement of the wires in the new plug matchup with the plug from the alternator).
  • Run the other (black or black/red or whatever) wire behind the battery to the left side where the original regulator is.
  • Unplug the black and white wires from the old regulator and plug the two male terminals from the new RR into these female ends
  • Leave the original regulator in place with the green wire still connected.
  • Test the charging system.

The original regulator is earthed by the green wire; the new one will be earthed either by the green wire in the plug, or through its connection to the frame, so it is not needed any longer. The instruction seems to suggest leaving the original regulator in place; not sure why.

I went through this replacement on my 750 rebuild and used two RR units with no success - I actually got stranded 40kms from home on my maiden ride as the battery went flat. In the end I had the innards of the old units replaced with electronic bits by a guy in Germany - Horst Pilsner. You can find him here http://cbfourclub.de if interested, under "Borse" for CB750 K2-K2.
CB750 K2 - Ridden from Belfast(SA)-2-Belfast(NI)!
CB750 K1 - The less, said the better!
CB450 K1 - A work in progress.
CB400F Supersport - Rusty - not any more!

Offline THUNDERDOWNUNDER

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2021, 12:10:06 AM »
Thanks Sean, those instructions from  DSS left me thinking if I blow this RR up the bike is up for sale . Blown one already and getting flat battery after half an hour . I think the instructions should have been left in Japanese as I have a few friends who cold have translated them better Ha ! Anyway thanks again Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal