Author Topic: Starter Motor lead replacement  (Read 852 times)

Offline Alvaboy

• View Profile
Starter Motor lead replacement
« on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:45 AM »
Well, I’ve just joined and already found loads of useful info for my build ( I really need to review my “lone Wolf”, don’t need any help, mentality)!
Anyway I want to renew the strater motor wire as it is ancient, really inflexible, not long enough, and ugly. I found a thread by Philward from a few years ago and he made a good job of putting an m6 threaded bolt and nuts on there, which I can manage, hopefully. Like Philward I want to fit a rubber cover on top of the nut/ cable eyelet so it all works well and minimises any chance of a short. Trigger was able to supply this then. Here are my questions:
1. Is this fairly do able?
2. Should I use 16mm (squared) cable and what is the best, most flexible, one to buy, and who from?
3. I’m running this cable to the back of the frame under the seat unit to the solenoid/ main fuse (nearly a metre). Will this Length of cable run be ok?
4. Who on here can supply me with good quality bits and bobs for this job?
Many thanks in anticipation.
Tim 😎

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Motor lead replacement
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 06:56:31 PM »
Interested in knowing how to do this myself. Currently struggling to remove the cable from my cb550 starter

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 10:42:54 PM »
Just read your post and forgot I'd even done that conversion - I didn't fit a starter motor in the end to the CR Rep as the race alternator done away with the starter gear. Ref rge parts, I got copper studding off ebay I seem to remember. Someone will no doubt be along shortly to advise on the cable size.
And yes it is doiable with care
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »
Can you provide a link to the thread where you did the mod please? I can't find it.

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 02:11:32 PM »
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
Thanks. Sorry don't mean to hijack a post. Hopefully what I'm doing will help Alvaboy too.

I've had a go at this today, checking continuity between the screw and the body with the internals out it's fine, as soon as I put the internals in, I've got continuity between the post and the body of the starter... Is that normal?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Alvaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 08:48:40 AM »
You’re not hijacking the thread at all Eight0. Looked at your picture I would have done exactly the same as you...
Not sure about the continuity question. I will check mine later which still has the original lead in there ( I’ve not removed it yet). Sorry I can’t be be clearer but auto electrics are still very much a learning curve for me.
I had a look about and the boys from Revival in Texas reckon that 6AWG is good for wires from starter to solenoid and solenoid to battery. Not sure what the experienced auto spark guys on here think of that though...

Offline Alvaboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2021, 05:45:57 PM »
Just checked and mine is the same as yours re continuity with the rotor in and out. Only thing I would say is you might want to use a bit of threaded copper rod for better conductivity than stainless or mild steel..?? Again the Sparky boys and girls on here should know the answer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal