Author Topic: Oil discharge.  (Read 500 times)

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
  • Triumph Tiger 800,CB750 Honda Britain,CB750 PRR x
    • View Profile
Oil discharge.
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
Hi all, last year I bought a newly rebuilt engine for my Phil Read Replica from a friend to kick-start a stalled project.After carburation problems  I got it running but it was chucking spots of oil out of the cut down exhaust. Not just a dribble..it left splatters on a car parked 10 feet away!!
When I took the exhaust off, the oil was coating the inside of pipes 2 and 3..
Has anyone got a clue what might be causing this?Is it possible that the oil that lubricates the cam and valves isn't draining down into the sump and is sliding past the valves into the combustion chamber?
As I can't take the cam cover off without taking the engine out the frame, I will consider any options rather than that..
John W.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Oil discharge.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »
What are the plugs like?
If they are Oily it could be inlet valve seals.

I assume 750 had seals

Does the bike smoke?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 10:35:48 AM »
Presumably it's an F2 head? as this has different oil drain down from the head than other 750s.

They in effect deleted some of the oil drain routes to keep the oil retained at higher levels I believe.  This to try and cope with raised wear of exhaust valves that it experienced. 

Exhaust valve guides would be prime suspect given the history of the F2. But as John indicated,  have a look at all the plugs to see if those two are noticeably different from the other two.

Is the builder knowledge of F2 good?

Offline whiteylfc

• SOHC Associate
  • Triumph Tiger 800,CB750 Honda Britain,CB750 PRR x
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 06:51:46 PM »
It is an F2 engine..unfortunately I've no idea who built it and their knowledge of the F2 model..a mate of mate bought a restored Phil Read Replica and the engine came as a spare and ready to fit.
I'm bothered that a seal has been wrongly fitted so the oil isn't finding its way down to the sump.If I can lift the cam cover I'll pour oil down and see if it drains down or backs up..

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 07:19:58 PM »
Have a look with a torch to see if it's got valve stem oil seals installed.

Unsure you can see,  but maybe with a dental mirror you could get a peak.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
If its an F2 the oil is a symptom of bad exhaust guides which is a common problem and all F2 had stem seals

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal