Author Topic: Frame Painting is Powder Coating best?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Frame Painting is Powder Coating best?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2021, 11:55:59 AM »
Can I ask what do you do with the riveted on vin plate when you paint / powder coat?

It must be almost impossible to remove without marking the plate.
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2021, 12:39:37 PM »
Can I ask what do you do with the riveted on vin plate when you paint / powder coat?

I'm advised that if you carefully drill out the rivet head then use cheese wire or similar to break any remaining adhesion between plate & frame they come off okay.

I'll just mask mine off if I paint the frame myself - this is my most likely plan - just need to check I can get Hamerite Smooth or Rust Oleum in my chosen shade of dark blue.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 12:42:00 PM by Macabethiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »
We managed to grind a groove in a Stanley knife blade and drive in behind the rivets underneath the plate, removed rivets and plate together, thankfully no damage.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »

I'm advised that if you carefully drill out the rivet head then use cheese wire or similar to break any remaining adhesion between plate & frame they come off okay.

I'll just mask mine off if I paint the frame myself - this is my most likely plan - just need to check I can get Hamerite Smooth or Rust Oleum in my chosen shade of dark blue.
Be careful, smoothrite is NOT anything like as good as it used to be. The EU eurocrats decided that we citizens could not be trusted to use the original stuff safely, so it has been refunded formulated to have far less volatile organic compounds in it, namely halocarbons such as trichloroethylene, resulting in a basically rubbish product compared to what most of us remember. It now takes several coats to achieve anything like the protection a single coat of the old formula gave. I don't know about rustoleum as I've not used it for many years, but chances are it will be similarly interfered with.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2021, 03:47:53 PM »

Would you like to be a Guinea pig for me. I use Tikkurila products for everything now but havn't had a chance to try there Temalac FD yet they do it in FD50 (semi gloss) and FD 80 (gloss)  I think its just under £35 for 3lt
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2021, 06:01:04 PM »

Be careful, smoothrite is NOT anything like as good as it used to be. The EU eurocrats decided that we citizens could not be trusted to use the original stuff safely, so it has been refunded formulated to have far less volatile organic compounds in it, namely halocarbons such as trichloroethylene, resulting in a basically rubbish product compared to what most of us remember. It now takes several coats to achieve anything like the protection a single coat of the old formula gave. I don't know about rustoleum as I've not used it for many years, but chances are it will be similarly interfered with.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I have a friend was a colour chemist for ICI who then had his own paint pigmet manufacturing business before he retired. He put me onto Rust-Oleum a Canadian Company they manufacture industrial paints that still use some proper solvents - not water! Yes nothing is as it was decades ago but they market a product called Top Hat Paints specifically for metal items. I've just ordered some online so I can do a test application first.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal