Author Topic: Wheel rotating in neutral  (Read 501 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Wheel rotating in neutral
« on: February 10, 2021, 07:40:18 AM »
I noticed my rear wheel was rotating a fair bit when the engine was in neutral, I'm wondering if it has something to do with the clutch, but in this cold weather with COPD chucked in almost anything is very difficult for me, so I could do without messing about looking for the cause, any ideas what it is anyone?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel rotating in neutral
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 08:16:26 AM »
It's nothing to worry about, it's a characteristic of a constant mesh gearbox, and is always more noticeable when the engine is cold and the oil is thick and dragging things about. They all do it to a lesser or greater degree.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 08:16:32 AM »
It's all fine, and just a little dragging inside the geabox with it more likely when it's cold.

Left alone and idling, the clutch is fully closed (engaged) with the input gearshaft rotating and output held still by the rear wheel. Oil drag within the gear set (even in neutral) will put some rotation force on the output shaft,  and so the wheel moves.

In reality it's a good sign as it shows the chain and wheel assembly don't need much force to move them,  indicating brake, bearings etc are in decent order.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks for this guys!  ;D
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal