Author Topic: V5C  (Read 779 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
V5C
« on: February 25, 2021, 04:39:23 PM »
The Bomber should finally be finished this weekend so now I have the next problem. The bike came with the old style V5 not a V5C, and is not listed online. What's the best way of getting it swapped over without ending up taking it to a testing station (I believe Liverpool is the nearest 60 miles away). I was considering getting it MOT'd possibly on the frame number to prove it's okay, then sending the V5 with a name and address (owner) change with a covering letter explaining what's what. Or is there an easy way?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: V5C
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »
Hi Roy,
Congrats on the finish of the resto.
There used to be a testing station in Fulwood, Preston.  Are you just wanting an MOT for peace of mind?  If you present your V5 at a VED issuing Post Office and explain, they should give you a free VED and send the old V5 off to Swansea for you.  You MIGHT get a letter from DVLA for more info when the spit hits the fan.

Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 05:52:03 PM »
Thanks Ian. Quick question, what's a VED?
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 06:10:54 PM »
Hi Roy,
Vehicle excise duty - tax in other words but no disc of course.
Although you have an old style V5 DVLA sometimes want to know where it's been for all these years, so when you do a check it doesn't appear and they give you that number to ring.  As far as I know ALL V5's (even the earliest) are on their system (somewhere!) but not the Buff and Green 'logbooks'

Ian

Don't forget to tell the Post Office about the new taxation class for your bike -Historic - they should spot that anyway (in case you get the newbie) and obviously fill in the change of ownership bit.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 06:15:48 PM by orcadian »

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 06:54:32 PM »
The more info and the spit hits the fan are the bits that concern me.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 07:15:17 PM »
Roy, once it has tax you can ride it to any inspection if one is needed, but as it's a UK bike not an import it shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 09:10:33 PM »
The 'more info and 'spit hits the fan' was a throw-away comment and not meant to alarm you, sorry if it did!
Sometimes, quite rightly, when they get an old V5 back, they just ask a few questions - certainly nothing to worry about.  I'm glad they sometimes check that there is actually a vehicle to go with this scruffy, tea stained piece of paper and not someone just trying to make a fast buck from a valuable number.  I've done a few like this and a mate here in Orkney has done 2 this week at our main Post Office in Kirkwall.  Hand over the V5, filled in and they should do the rest.

Ian

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 09:22:23 PM »
Thanks guys. Will give it a tomorrow.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 09:42:31 AM »
My own experience with an old style V5 wasn't good. It was for a CB250G5. DVLA insisted that I get a dating certificate, even though I provided photo's that the bike (only 2k miles) was bog standard in every respect and they said they may have to inspect the vehicle too. I contacted Ray Davis regarding obtaining a dating cert. but he told me that one of the digits on the frame had rusted and wasn't clearly defined,so he would not be able to  issue a cert. So I just sold the bike on eBay and let the new owner sort it out (telling him the score re DVLA). He obviously had more success than me because he got a V5C and it's on the road now. 

My own bomber was just a frame initially but because in was on the DVLA computer register I just sent off the old style V5 and got a V5C back without any hassle....ludicrous really.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:49:40 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 12:42:07 PM »
From what you guys are saying about the problems that may be encountered with an old style V5 it may be better to say that you don't have one!

I bought my bike without a log book. The process of getting a new V5C was  straightforward. I filled in DVLA form V62 with my details together with the frame and registration numbers and sent it off with a cheque for £25. I got an acknowledgement from DVLA a couple of days later saying that my application should be processed on 01st October and a V5C issued within a few days. Got the V5C log book through the post on 5th Oct, so no problems or complaints.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 02:11:58 PM »
Well I gave that a go at the local post office. They are well clued up on this sort of thing and says he does these quite often. However, in my case after 3 attempts he was unable to complete the transaction. This is what was printed out:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I am a bit loathed to phone DVLA as that has never gone well in the past, just depends who you get on the phone. Anymore ideas on doing this the easy way.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 03:47:23 PM »
I think I would just fill in the V62 form Roy and let them deal with it. As you say, if you phone up, it really depends who you speak to as to what kind of action they tell you  is needed. In my case I don't see why a dating cert was required for a UK registered bike that was bog standard and had an old V5 present.  I think your frame number was clearly stamped and the same as on the V5, so I imagine it will be pretty straightforward. My problem I mentioned hinged round the fact that the frame number wasn't very clear due to corrosion and I made the mistake of phoning them up rather than just filling in the form.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 03:50:12 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 03:57:10 PM »
I have filled in the required changes on the V5, and sent a covering letter and some before and after pictures to DVLA. I also sent two pictures of the old MOT's and a picture of the old tax disc. So I will see in a couple of weeks I suppose. I tried ringing them but was in a line for over 30 minutes so gave up.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Online McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
I have filled in the required changes on the V5, and sent a covering letter and some before and after pictures to DVLA. I also sent two pictures of the old MOT's and a picture of the old tax disc. So I will see in a couple of weeks I suppose. I tried ringing them but was in a line for over 30 minutes so gave up.

Since the local LVLO offices closed it has certainly been  more difficult than ever to get anyone at DVLA to take ownership of a case. I personally have found phoning close to useless in the past. On driving licences issues I e-mailed DVLA when I was applying for my late mothers photo licence as the application form insisted on a birth certificate or current passport to confirm identity.

I e-mailed DVLA explaining that my mother had no birth certificate as her records in Austria were bombed by the RAF during WW2 and no duplicated were available. I told them that my mothers UK passport was over 10 years out of date but that her appearnace had not changed signifcantly. They e- mailed me saying they would accept an out of date passport in the circumstances but that I had to attach the DVLA letter with her postal application. Photo Driving Livence was duly issued before her 70th !
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal