Author Topic: eBay Payment changing ?  (Read 893 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
eBay Payment changing ?
« on: February 24, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »

What's this all about?

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: eBay Payment changing ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
I haven't had, or seen a message on that.

I have used my Ebay app just to view.

Leave it for a couple of days. See what happens.

You could contact both PayPal and Ebay to get more information.

I maybe a phishing scam

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:25:14 AM »
Oh err, I've not had a notification about that Ash 🤔🤔🤔
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
E bay are just sooooo greedy! I stopped selling on there a couple of years back when they started taking a slice of the postage charges. Okay PayPal take a slice too, but provided you have trackable postage, you get buyer protection if things get lost or damaged in the post, rather than chasing the postal service yourself.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »
Another example of a huge corporate company screwing the people that use it. The sooner eBay sinks the better. They do virtually nothing to prevent scammers taking your money and leaving you fighting to get it back. Anyone can buy positive feedback making it look as though who you are dealing with is genuine when actually they are far from it.
I've lost count of the number of times I've reported scammers to eBay only to see them pop up again a few days later under another name, eBay do nothing about it apart from hiking their charges!
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 11:02:18 AM »

Buyers moan about Ebay, Sellers moan about Ebay. Simply don't use it then. Personally I have only ever had one problem and that was something coming from the States in the very early days. They have certainly made it far easier to find anything and not just bike parts.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 12:05:14 PM »
I think it is genuine as it was a message in my eBay messages not an email link to it. Personally I love eBay ...having restored my 400/4  pre internet it was sooooo much more difficult then . Plus there have been loads of £1 final value fee offers and now you won't have to pay PayPal fees. Ok as long as its not HMRC  related  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:09:36 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:36:09 PM »
I think there may be an anti-money laundering aspect to this.

At the moment if someone pays into my bank account, if it's anything to do with my business I have to declare it as income for tax purposes, the first thing HMRC do in an investigation is ask for all your bank statements, for any account which you have.

Last year a client who sells online for his business needed to pay me, he had nothing in his bank but a healthy Paypal balance, so he paid me via Paypal. My Paypal account is linked to an email I used in my previous hobby of scambaiting (winding up the Prince of Nigeria and the Spanish Lottery etc) and so has absolutely no traceable link to me personally. I realised that rather than transfer the money (a few hundred quid) to my bank account, I could fritter it away online, on gin and motorbike parts, and noone would be any the wiser. 

Obviously I didn't - for my business I have to be registered with HMRC under the Anti Money Laundering legislation, so there's that, same reason I couldn't sell my CB750 for £11K cash, anything over £10K and I'd have been legally obliged to report the buyer (and not tell him), but it occurred to me that less than honest traders could do something similar (take payments via Paypal and never bank it, but spend it online) on an industrial scale, and probably get away with it, but doing money laundering rather than frittering it away. Can you buy an expensive car or watch using Paypal, for instance? - probably. Said item can then be sold legitimately, and the money banked as clean.

Paying sellers straight into their bank, come what may, should get round this loophole, or at least try to.

As Moorey says, if you don't like it, don't use it...
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 03:35:36 PM »
Is it not aimed at sellers rather than buyers?
No way will I give my current account details to e-bay.
What really annoys me is the push now that PayPal has split from e-bay in making you take a PayPal Credit Card to spread the cost and pay interest in the process.
I aways use the buyer protection route when goods have not arrived on time. I made the mistake once of returning some poor Leather Food as it was like water - it was tracked on their returns label but they refused the refund sayig it could not be found in their warehose. I was outside the time limits so lost about £18.00 to a firm in Bradford who said it was for me to claim it off the Post Office. That only works if you yourself pay the postage.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
This really only affects sellers with professional accounts, I also got the notice that the new data before March 19 (I think) or the account will be suspended, I suppose it will be to avoid "money laundering". Really this year 2021 is being complicated, with #@%$....... Ebay automatically applies VAT to all UK buyers and I have noticed it a lot, sales are no longer the same ...... a shame.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2021, 01:16:15 PM »
Different thing but I just bought a couple of headrace sets from China and ebay added VAT to the offer price, this had better be import vat or a lot of sales aint happening

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2021, 01:42:53 PM »
You should not be charged VAT if the value of the goods is under the threshold  ;) But, i see that Ebay are even charging Vat to good that are under the threshold  :o

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 10:11:13 AM »
Well, slightly off track but not by much 😊😊😊
I've just tried to transfer funds from my PayPal account to my bank account and its now handled by PayPal Xoom. For me to transfer £300 from my PayPal account to my UK Lloyd's bank account, there is now a charge of £2.30. The more you want to transfer, the higher the fee. I've tried every which way to do the transfer via PayPal but not via Xoom and I can't find a way. PayPal to PayPal transfers are still FOC. If I wanted to transfer all my money that is in PayPal to my bank account, its gonna cost me almost £27 😭😭😭😭😭
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 10:13:04 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal