Author Topic: Accident at Roundabout  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Alimacdee2

• View Profile
Accident at Roundabout
« on: March 01, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »
Hi all, looking for a second opinion, sorry haven't been on here in a while, too many distractions, need to focus more on what really matters.. having said that.. I was rear ended at a busy roundabout Friday 1.40pm, my previously perfect Rear mudguard and No plate Holder took the brunt, the Points cover mashed, Right hand brake leaver bent at end, front brake binding so probably the pivot bolt. very slight scuff to my brake lever pedal, and slight scuffing to my aftermarket exhaust.   Overall very lucky considering the shunt was quite an impact!  the good news my handlebars seem unaffected! my first accident in many a year,  24yr old female driver is willing to pay for the Damage seems genuine, this will save going through the insurance, It looks like all the parts are available except the rear fender and no plate holder which are UK spec, and which I'd like to retain. I wonder if its possible a Good panel beater could sort the Mudguard and plate holder?is there one?  its always been a road going bike I want to stay this way,  I did take lots of photos at the scene of accident but I'm reticent to publish these at the moment, I'm still talking to the Driver of the car. 
cheers Ally
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:25:26 PM by Alimacdee2 »
1970 HONDA CB750
2002 Ducati Monster 750ie

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Accident at Roundabout
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 03:17:28 PM »
Ouch! Did you call the police anyway, getting rear ended means she has commited driving without due care and attention or careless driving at the very least, and if she fails to pay up, you'll be in bother with your own insurers for not reporting it to them, as you have an obligation to report ANY loss or damage to your vehicle, however caused!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Alimacdee2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
I contacted my insurer Lynbrook/first underwriting, that day, they were not very helpful, not very sympathetic even though the car driver admitted full liability at the time, the underwriter operator kept reminding me its a claim on my insurance if I go ahead, but of course it is, and they then claim it back off the other drivers insurance. I agreed to give the driver a chance to pay for the damage , after showing her a invoice for parts from DS she says its too much for her 1000+, so its now going through my insurance. Its maybe an idea to contact the police now to make a complaint.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:40:19 PM by Alimacdee2 »
1970 HONDA CB750

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
I would report it. Although the driver may appear friendly enough at the time and willing to pay for the damage people have a nasty habit of changing their minds when the full cost is known. A recent experience of a friend of mine is a case in point. He was shunted whilst in his van. My mate is a plumber and the rear tailgate of his van was stoved in. He suffered whiplash injuries (he was hit at 50mph whilst stationery at traffic lights). The guilty driver admitted he was on the phone at the time and asked to pay cash and not via the insurance (he was in an Audi A8 with foreign plates). When the bill got to over £2k he decided he didn't want to pay. My mate reported the accident to his insurance company. The bill so far is over £3.5k as he had to hire a van whilst his was being repaired. He is now suffering a lot of back pain, appears he suffered a burst disc in his lower back and now undergoing physio twice a week and had an MRI scan to confirm the injury.
No way would I do a cash deal at the scene, once this lady starts telling people what happened there will be those who will tell her not to admit liability and as you didn't report it you'll be left to foot the bill. It's not just the bike, you may have suffered injuries to your back if you were holding the handlebars at the time and depending on the speed she hit you at. Back injuries take time to show. When I was shunted off my VFR 20 years ago I suffered three bouts of whiplash during the following 12 months. The consultant actually told me that's what would happen and he was right.
Look after yourself and not the person who caused the damage is my motto.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 04:26:27 PM »
Ouch! Did you call the police anyway, getting rear ended means she has commited driving without due care and attention or careless driving at the very least, and if she fails to pay up, you'll be in bother with your own insurers for not reporting it to them, as you have an obligation to report ANY loss or damage to your vehicle, however caused!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Few CPS areas will prosecute for what they call bent metal accidents so most Police Areas will refuse to turn out to a scene unless there is injury. As an aside genuine wiplash will not appear until after 24-36 hours. I would certainly notify your insurers but state you do not wish to make a claim at present.

My wife had an accident some years ago where there was no Police attendence, she had the right of way on a main road with only a scuffed plastic wheel arch to show for the accident. We just notified our insurers but made no claim. Almost 18 months later the other driver who had sustained some substatntial frontal damage as a resut of clipping a sign post put in a civil claim for over £2000.  I refered them to our insurers who denied the claim - it did  not affect our NCB or premium as far as I could tell.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Alimacdee2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 05:06:18 PM »
I've just started the claims process with the insurers they were a bit better there, I've told them I'm repairing it,  I've to submit a list of parts needed, and their engineer will need  to view the bike, sounds ok to me. The exhaust is also slightly scuffed, I wonder if that warrant's a replacement? Its a motad  I don't think they are available now? would it be like for like or can I choose 4 pipes??
I just made a complaint to the police, and an officer is calling wed morning.
I did feel slight shock at the time of the accident, slight  shake in hands but no apparent injuries, I was up immediately,  and talked to the driver described her driving without swearing! and took lots of photos. But overnight I had a slight headache and  aching in my neck, so arranged to go to AE consultant said I would have had whiplash due to the impact but no serious injury and looks like muscle strain in the neck area.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 10:36:00 AM by Alimacdee2 »
1970 HONDA CB750

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 05:11:09 PM »
Yes it's OK at the time but give it a couple of days talking to her friends and things could change, I was rear ended in the car by a young lad who admitted liability and wanted to pay for the damage which was slight so I said fine.

Unfortunately I had just bought a new car and had traded mine in against it and had no time to get it repaired as I was turning it in the next day, so I went to a car repairers that I knew well and was quoted £150.

After a talk with the dealers where I was buying the new car they agreed that I should pay the car repairers the money and they would sort it out, amazingly they used the same car repair shop

The other driver agreed to all this and I sent him my bank details, that was the last I heard from him, though I thought at the time that would be the outcome.

Just to cover myself I did contact my insurance firm and kept the text messages from the lad in which he admitted liability and the photos that I took of the two cars at the time of the accident.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 05:30:47 PM »
my advice would be to put in a claim for the damage to the exhaust as well....as it's a classic bike...parts availability is a bit tricky, but don't expect to get a full new system out of it. You will need to demonstrate the cost of replacement on a like for like basis, or on a best equivalent. You could argue for a while over details, but you will be offered a settlement...and it will be down to you to show the justification if you get lowballed.

Unless the bike is a ruin, I always do my own repairs, so have had to do this a few times. With bikes in production, it's easy as you photgraph each damaged part, and refer them to the main dealer prices.

Here....if you go to somewhere like Dave Silvers to show prices, or another reputable supplier, you should be OK. Unavailable parts you would need to find something on E-Bay or similar. But whatever...I would not get any parts repaired until I had the agreement from the insurers.

When it copmes to renewal...you will have to declare the accident, but non fault acidents should not affect your premium. Getting rear-ended like this is certainly non-fault!
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Alimacdee2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 06:01:17 PM »
thanks for these comments, definitely making a claim, and will make a new list, might even contact Lynbrook regards my neck pain I'll see how I feel, I like those fenders  on ebay, but drilled different to mine, I've asked the seller if he can supply a UK style one, if not could I get one without holes drilled, he's supplied dimensions of another type but doesn't quite match.
1970 HONDA CB750

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 07:31:49 PM »
I was rear ended on my guzzi last year and I have had nothing but back and shoulder issues since.
You may think your fine now but it catches up with you all of a sudden. I had no one to claim against as they speed off.
Claim for what you can and as it was rear ended don't forget to have your rear wheel rebuilt and new bearings and check your swingarm.

Mick
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 07:38:36 PM »
thanks for these comments, definitely making a claim, and will make a new list, might even contact Lynbrook regards my neck pain I'll see how I feel, I like those fenders  on ebay, but drilled different to mine, I've asked the seller if he can supply a UK style one, if not could I get one without holes drilled, he's supplied dimensions of another type but doesn't quite match.
I bought one from the same source for my 500 - 4 hole type. Generally good quality but did have to modify it slightly to ensure the mudguard was at the right angle
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline Alimacdee2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 09:30:24 PM »
Okay the Police phoned tonight they want to make a full  Crash report! since I was rear ended and did suffer some injury,  2 officers are coming round tomorrow morning with 1 1/2 hr slot, I did make detailed notes of what happened that day, so can refer back to that,  they don't hang about!   I did check side to side movement of the swingarm, seemed ok,  I would definitely need to look closely at the rear wheel and associated parts, the fender was just touching the tyre at the accident, I did pull it away from the wheel, I'll check that out..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:24:46 PM by Alimacdee2 »
1970 HONDA CB750

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:57 PM »

I had a coming together with a taxi van whilst on hol in Cornwall last year. He wanted to pay and not involve insurance to which i agreed. I priced up all parts and he transferred  the money to my bank before we left Cornwall. Not everyone is out to screw you.

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 10:20:00 PM »
Agreed not everyone is out to screw you I'm just fed up with being the honest one all the time.
I was also involved in a head on in my van last January I was on my side and had dash cam footage of a BMW not giving way and ploughing straight into me.
They denied everything and it was settled 50/50
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal