Author Topic: Black Bomber not charging  (Read 3155 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Black Bomber not charging
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
Looking at your figures again and  comparing them to the 5-speed Honda graphs Roy,  I think you now have a really nice charging system with the added bonus of the solid state regulator to stop you 'boiling the battery' or blowing bubs if the battery isn't perfect.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
That's good to hear, I was thinking it looked a bit low compared to the graph. I'm not sure the output is so great to ever activate the regulator but knowing it's there gives peace of mind.

I shall now get it run in and see how the charging goes. The good thing is I have learned a whole lot about electrics whilst doing this. Thanks guys for all the advice along the way.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2021, 10:55:57 AM »
One feature of that regulator is that if you have a poor battery connection or a failing battery, it prevents the high voltage from the alternator popping every bulb on the bike. It's a very neat little circuit for 1968 when it 1st appeared, in terms of solid-state electronics (it uses a power thyristor to clamp the excess voltage).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:57:52 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
I found this from a CB77/450 Service Bulletin attached Roy .. From 1968

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2021, 07:49:26 PM »
I found this from a CB350/CB450 Service Bulletin attached Roy .. From 1968

(Attachment Link)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2021, 08:07:15 PM »
Thanks Ash. I would appear to be back to front, ie much higher amperage with the lights on. I would have thought it would be the other way around.
I think I may just ride it with the lights on all the time, I get at least a 4 amp charge that way.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 08:19:38 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2021, 08:52:27 AM »
Thanks Ash. I would appear to be back to front, ie much higher amperage with the lights on. I would have thought it would be the other way around.
I think I may just ride it with the lights on all the time, I get at least a 4 amp charge that way.

Yes it is confusing ... but as long as you have a decent positive charge once the engine is  running at all engine speeds you should be OK. It's really the ability of the charging system to replenish the battery charge lost, after cranking the engine with the electric start /ignition coil current,  which is critical (provided that the running charge is positive).

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2021, 06:02:49 PM »
It's a bit rough and ready (I will try and improve it when I have time) but this is now the wiring diagram that reflects what is actually on my 1967 Black Bomber. Fitted is a new harness with original Bomber wire colours, an alternator and rotor from a later K4 model, a voltage regulator from a later model and an AGM battery. It is all fitted and working correctly. Hope this is a help to anyone that has been watching this thread.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal