Author Topic: Ignition coil performance test  (Read 666 times)

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
Ignition coil performance test
« on: March 05, 2021, 03:30:59 PM »
On p. 90 of the Shop Manual CB500-550 we find a coil test prescribed (see below). I don't quite understand Fig. 275 that shows three pointed electrodes. Why three and not just two?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition coil performance test
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:14:40 PM »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 07:39:32 AM »
I'm afraid I still don't understand. The ones next to each other, are they both Ground?
Anyway, this is how I've tested mine (be it statically!) the two plugcables facing each other sharing (and waisting) a spark. The black stripes are 7 mm apart. BTW, the white 'stripe' you see is not a spark, but a mere reflection of light. Has any of you seen that tester in the Honda fig. in real life/ Is it capable of testing dynamically?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 07:59:16 AM by deltarider »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 08:34:27 AM »
Not only seen one but used one in the 70's and the box had like a set of points so you had continuous sparking and a knob to increase the gap on the two contacts opposite each other till the spark diverted to the side one.

Hope that makes sense

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 08:38:58 AM »
Thanks, Bryan. Was it a set frequency or could you vary?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
The three point tester gives you a more stable  & reliable spark .. The third electrode does not have any electrical connection ... it just screws in and out. What you are doing is perfectly OK though ...you can buy 2-point testers similar to what  you have made. Non of those take into account what happens under cylinder pressure anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGaDzTigrgs

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tester-Current-Briggs-Workshop-Equipment/dp/B077Q4KT3N

« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 10:03:20 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 10:48:19 AM »
From memory it was just a push button so probably set frequency but quite quick.
The tester box was part of the "required" tools for a UK dealer and did dwell, continuity, capacitance,voltage and the spark test. I think it ran from a 12v  car battery we had to recharge but like i said this was early to mid 70's and a lot of water(and Guiness) has gone under the bridge since then

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 06:42:53 AM »
Thank you, all. Intriguing, that third electrode.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal