Author Topic: Bike lift recommendations  (Read 1319 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
Bike lift recommendations
« on: March 05, 2021, 03:57:27 PM »
Can anyone recommend a bike lift, I'm getting too old to be scrabbling around the floor.
 I don't mean a platform lift but one that lifts both wheels off the ground without using the centre stand, sometimes the stand alone doesn't give enough clearance/lift. The one I was given fouled the sump pan and/or the collector box and pipes.
I've tried paddock stands but the non standard shorty exhaust is wider than the usual exhaust so wont fit on the swinging arm and  the centre stand can't be fitted as it hits the exhaust bracket - I know should have kept it all standard!
I really don't fancy removing the exhaust every time I want to adjust the chain!
Someone must have come across this before, surely.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: Bike lift recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 07:21:38 PM »
I use a small scissor type stand as I have exactly the same problems as you, but I have cut to shape a thick piece of wood to sump size, put a hole in it to clear the sump plug, I then wood screwed it to the top scissor platform. It keeps the weight off the tyres and suspension during storage and helps with maintenance. It clears my 4 into 1 and reverse megga exhaust exhaust and sticky out bits nicely.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 07:54:13 PM »
Can't give you a brand to recommend but I have a cheapo chinese full bike lift. Strong bit of kit but uv coupling for releasing pressure from pedal  area to hydraulic ram is Heath Robinson stuff. Very sloppy. That said, once up in place that is not an issue and it is great. I would say if you have a number of bikes and lifting property used regularly, build may be an issue. It was and they are, great value...
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:18:50 PM »
I bought an Eazy Rizer Red about ten years ago after a search for a safe, versatile and space friendly bike lift as I didn’t have room in my shed for a platform lift. I’ve used it on all my bikes from pit bike through lightweight klx250, yz125, Ducati Scrambler, Triumph Thruxton 1200R and heavyweight XJR1300. It takes a bit of adjustment for individual bikes but you soon get the hang of it. No need to remove exhausts, both wheels off the ground and doesn’t take much storage space when not in use. Attached is a photo of my CB500 K1 on the lift together with a link to a more professional presentation than my dodgy photos in a grotty old shed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiXgMTG-5nvAhWNh1wKHY-pCYY4ChC3AjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOjG3HzoeBtU&usg=AOvVaw2soyblmpZ-PUjcq8pbIleQ

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 08:17:44 AM »
Used the Eazy Rizer for quite a few bikes over the years. Very good tool.
I have 3 types of fittings for it.
Could be for sale as it has not been used for a long time

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »
I bought an Eazy Rizer Red about ten years ago after a search for a safe, versatile and space friendly bike lift as I didn’t have room in my shed for a platform lift. I’ve used it on all my bikes from pit bike through lightweight klx250, yz125, Ducati Scrambler, Triumph Thruxton 1200R and heavyweight XJR1300. It takes a bit of adjustment for individual bikes but you soon get the hang of it. No need to remove exhausts, both wheels off the ground and doesn’t take much storage space when not in use. Attached is a photo of my CB500 K1 on the lift together with a link to a more professional presentation than my dodgy photos in a grotty old shed.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiXgMTG-5nvAhWNh1wKHY-pCYY4ChC3AjAAegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DOjG3HzoeBtU&usg=AOvVaw2soyblmpZ-PUjcq8pbIleQ

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thanks for the pics, did you have to remove the exhaust or was it off for other reasons?

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 06:59:16 PM »
Used the Eazy Rizer for quite a few bikes over the years. Very good tool.
I have 3 types of fittings for it.
Could be for sale as it has not been used for a long time

Thanks Seamus , what fittings have you got , I see the website has several available - what worked best with the 400/4?

Nice offer but see you're in Luton and i'm in Brighton area so no chance of picking it up if you wanted to sell it  :( at the moment. Postage could be costly too.
Could you PM me with what you would be thinking off for the lift by the way , if you're open to offers  ;)

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 11:07:34 PM »
Thanks for the pics, did you have to remove the exhaust or was it off for other reasons?
[/quote]

No need to remove exhaust. The bike is having a total rebuil and I haven't refitted the exhaust yet.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 08:08:58 AM »
I will pm you some pictures of the bits I have. The 2 hoopps for the wheels, the gearbox and exhaust lifts and the chassis bars.
Will try to get some today

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 12:24:41 PM »

Easy rizer ordered and delivered within 24 hours impressive! And looks really good quality, Dave of Easy Rizer advised getting the heavy duty foot peg fitting set for the 400/4 .
all assembled and ready to go but where the devil does the front platen fit , the foot peg bracket is obvious but the only place for the front lifting platen looks like on the exhaust itself - possibly the sump/belly pan with a lump of wood under.
Question is what do you use/do, 'cos I'm baffled! :-\

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Offline Charlie J

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 03:35:32 PM »
I just put a piece of wood between the headers and the front platten  to spread the load. Some bike manuals e.g xjr1300 and Hayabusa state that the exhausts can be used as jacking points and I have done so . I don't know if this is so for my CB500 but it works for me.

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 04:24:48 PM »
I just put a piece of wood between the headers and the front platten  to spread the load. Some bike manuals e.g xjr1300 and Hayabusa state that the exhausts can be used as jacking points and I have done so . I don't know if this is so for my CB500 but it works for me.

Cheers Charlie,
I've concocted a piece of wood that fits on the platten and the fins on the sump, to bring it lower than the pipes - I'll let you know how it goes. No quite got the confidence the pipes you have  ;)

Offline ST1100

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »
By matters of safety and functionality I'm more fan of a full size MC-lift... but there is the issue of space available...

STOC #637
'00 ST1100Y, '04 ST1100R, '07 NT700VA, CB500K2, CB500K1...

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »
That workshop is bigger than my house 😂
Are you trying to wind me up 😂

Offline Johnny4428

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
Table lift is great! Best £500 I ever spent, work table as well. Useful for lawn mower bike or any other thing that will fit on, mine has got an old lister junior on it at the moment.
1952 Cymoto on Triumph bicycle.
1961 Matchless G3
1974 Honda CB550K1. Running resto,
1978 Honda CB550K3.
1999 ST1100 Pan European 50th Anniversary.
1975,1980,1984,1986 Honda C90’s
1973 Honda CB750K3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal