Author Topic: Gas fire gasket  (Read 970 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Gas fire gasket
« on: March 06, 2021, 12:30:20 PM »
Is there any gas guys out there who can assist me?  It's a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, GC  44 075 08.  I replaced the pilot light/ ASD assembly because it wasn't igniting.   That's all sorted but the asbestossy O ring between the part I fitted and the gas solenoid valve had disintegrated.  I replaced it with something else but it's overheating.  I've tried everywhere to get a parts list but no luck so far.
Where can I get one of those asbestos type O rings?  It's about 6mm i/d, 12 o/d, 4mm ish thick.  If I had the correct material I could punch one out.
I'm hoping there's people here with materials knowledge.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Gas fire gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 03:33:47 PM »
Waiting for the news report of gas explosion in Caerphilly 🙁🤞
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 04:09:41 PM »
I used to repair gas cookers and gas tumble dryers.  Not many of them exploded afterwards. 💥

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 04:31:54 PM »
Have you tried syncing the carbs?  ;D

Same as you found,  can't see any parts list in searches at all.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 05:18:16 PM »
Cheers Sye.  An SOHC expert and a gas expert

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »
Is there any gas guys out there who can assist me?  It's a Baxi Bermuda back boiler, GC  44 075 08.  I replaced the pilot light/ ASD assembly because it wasn't igniting.   That's all sorted but the asbestossy O ring between the part I fitted and the gas solenoid valve had disintegrated.  I replaced it with something else but it's overheating.  I've tried everywhere to get a parts list but no luck so far.
Where can I get one of those asbestos type O rings?  It's about 6mm i/d, 12 o/d, 4mm ish thick.  If I had the correct material I could punch one out.
I'm hoping there's people here with materials knowledge.

I assume you have tried Baxi themselves so I can't help with a source for spares but they were a great unit.

We had the Baxi Bermuda back boiler with a front gas fire for 32 years but eventually aside from eating gas we had serious kettling issues so replaced it with the Baxi BBU Back Boiler in 2016 that fits in our lounge chimney space.

Our annual gas consumption dropped by a good 50% with the condensing BBU boiler.
I was a bit miffed that they discontinued the Baxi BBU unit due to lack of sales volume. The fancy double plastic chimney did make it an expensive replacement but we didn't want a boiler elsewhere in the house.

Best of luck with your quest.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »
We had a Baxi Bermuda for years. One day I noticed mould spores just above the skirting board beside the chimney breast. It got worse over the next couple of weeks. Eventually the laminate floor began to buckle. It turned out the cast iron heat exchanger had cracked and was leaking but because it was set back in the chimney and behind the fire front you couldn't see it. The leak was also running down between the floorboards and the laminate floor above. I bought a new heat exchanger and had it fitted, £600!
About five years later the electronic ignition unit failed, quoted another £150 plus fitting. A mate who worked for British Gas told me not to bother as back boilers are so inefficient, something like 90p in every £1 goes up the chimney. We bought a condenser boiler and it was a real game changer, no more waiting for 20mins for the rads to heat up, it was almost instant. Our gas bills also went right down as well.
My brother also has a Baxi, he's been told his is life expired but you can no longer fit back boilers without special permission and only when you can prove you cannot fit a more efficient boiler elsewhere. I don't know how true that is or if it's British Gas trying to get work?Ours is in the loft but actually more accessible than in the chimney behind a gas fire.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 02:36:14 PM »
We had a Baxi Bermuda for years. One day I noticed mould spores just above the skirting board beside the chimney breast. It got worse over the next couple of weeks. Eventually the laminate floor began to buckle. It turned out the cast iron heat exchanger had cracked and was leaking but because it was set back in the chimney and behind the fire front you couldn't see it. The leak was also running down between the floorboards and the laminate floor above. I bought a new heat exchanger and had it fitted, £600!
About five years later the electronic ignition unit failed, quoted another £150 plus fitting. A mate who worked for British Gas told me not to bother as back boilers are so inefficient, something like 90p in every £1 goes up the chimney. We bought a condenser boiler and it was a real game changer, no more waiting for 20mins for the rads to heat up, it was almost instant. Our gas bills also went right down as well.
My brother also has a Baxi, he's been told his is life expired but you can no longer fit back boilers without special permission and only when you can prove you cannot fit a more efficient boiler elsewhere. I don't know how true that is or if it's British Gas trying to get work?Ours is in the loft but actually more accessible than in the chimney behind a gas fire.

The Baxi BBU unit was a modern condensing type with a double plastic flu it drew in air from one of the pipes and exhuasted out of the other, our condensate was conneted throught the lounge wall nto the kitchen where it fits into the waste pipe. There is some sort of sump pump arrangement when the small condensate  tank is full. So far it has been a trouble free - I'm told most of the spares are shared with the current range of condensing boilers. Two Heating Engineers told me that there was no direct replacement available but when I contacted Baxi direct they pointed me in the right direction including an approved local fitter who had fitted this type of unit before.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 12:11:17 PM »
I had this boiler fitted back in 2005.  At that time, I found it difficult to get someone to fit it because they're less efficient etc.  I could have gone down the combi boiler route but I would have to have radically altered the plumbing, including binning the recently fitted hot water cylinder.
I got the washer sent out, the original asbestossey thing has been superceded by a copper washer.  I'll fit it when I get around to it.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 07:14:30 PM »
I have a condensing boiler with a hot water cylinder so I could retain my immersion heater system. It a fully pumped system I told the Heating Engineer I didn't want high pressure cold water in 50 year old pipework.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal