Author Topic: Dragging gear change - Z1A  (Read 1745 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: Dragging gear change - Z1A
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 02:20:55 PM »
That could be interesting, I’ll give it a shot.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
I decided I had to try another cover, so I put out an appeal on the Z1 owners forum. Within a few hours i was riding to Rochdale to pick one up.

Guess what? If you replace the cover as well as the shaft, it still binds! Impossible but true. At least I didn’t waste another £75 or so to find out. The guy I borrowed the cover from had suggested I try a washer between the cover and crankcase, in the corner that makes it bind when tightened, the lower left. Nothing to lose, I tried it, using a small spring washer over the dowel and it works! I can fully tighten up the cover without binding.

It shouldn’t work, but it does. I can’t work out why, but life’s too short to overly worry about it. Next job is to reassemble with all the parts I left out to get to the bottom of things, and check I still have a free gear change, and clutch action.
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 10:20:25 AM »
I decided I had to try another cover, so I put out an appeal on the Z1 owners forum. Within a few hours i was riding to Rochdale to pick one up.

Guess what? If you replace the cover as well as the shaft, it still binds! Impossible but true. At least I didn’t waste another £75 or so to find out. The guy I borrowed the cover from had suggested I try a washer between the cover and crankcase, in the corner that makes it bind when tightened, the lower left. Nothing to lose, I tried it, using a small spring washer over the dowel and it works! I can fully tighten up the cover without binding.

It shouldn’t work, but it does. I can’t work out why, but life’s too short to overly worry about it. Next job is to reassemble with all the parts I left out to get to the bottom of things, and check I still have a free gear change, and clutch action.
That's properly mental. Will the gasket seal properly with the washer in place?

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 11:18:04 AM »
No gasket, the cover is the one that Honda call the ‘mission cover’.

It is supported at each of its 4 corners, with through bolts that screw into the crankcase, and dowels on the case to locate the cover. I wonder if the dowel in the problem corner may be damaged somehow, possibly slightly ovalled, but it’s hard to check as it’s embedded on the crank case and in an awkward place. It’s the sort of thing you should sort out before you put the engine in the frame.  :-\
1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »
As you say Dave, may be the dowel - mayby bent to one side (i.e., at an angle?) which is countered by the insertion of the washer changing the cover angle to match the dowel. You could open up the hole in the cover where the dowel enters (although you may not want to 'bastardise' te cover)
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:00 PM »
No gasket, the cover is the one that Honda call the ‘mission cover’.

It is supported at each of its 4 corners, with through bolts that screw into the crankcase, and dowels on the case to locate the cover. I wonder if the dowel in the problem corner may be damaged somehow, possibly slightly ovalled, but it’s hard to check as it’s embedded on the crank case and in an awkward place. It’s the sort of thing you should sort out before you put the engine in the frame.  :-\
Ah of course. Sounds like you've got a pragmatic and workable solution there Dave. But still bloody annoying...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal