Author Topic: The F2 Restoration  (Read 32109 times)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: The F2 Restoration
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
We're not a million miles apart.

Do you ever get down to Box Hill / Newlands Corner / Ace Cafe?

Steve
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2011, 02:48:52 PM »
Just been reading up on the job so far Peter. Been away for a while so not had a chance to read up on progress. If you need a hand then don't ask the bunny to help as their ears just get in the way. You can always get the kettle on & I can be over pretty sharpish given a few minutes.

As for the Phil Read stuff Steve, I have a road test of the CB750F2 by him when he wrote for Motor Cycle Weekly. There was also that article by 'Bike' magazine where the journalist was sitting outside of the Highlander pub on the TT course when Phil was having a chat with him about the PRR.

I have also found these in my photo album...

Both pics from about 1977 up at the Earls Court bike show.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
Thanks Tim, i was a bit worried about getting the engine in but i found if i left off everything possible like oil pump sump exhaust studs, generator, clutch, and all the other covers it was manageable as a one man lift, and even better just lay it down and put the frame over the engine
So i did not even need assistance, but if i had needed anyone , or do so in the future i am glad your near by and willing , also neil ( chauffeur) is also quite near as well, i am hoping to have this project wrapped up in the next few months as i have about ten more projects to get stuck in to, included in these projects are another two SOHC 750 bikes
Pete

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
Well i have just taken the F2 for an MOT, and its passed so i have been and taxed it and taken it for a ride, i clocked up about 40 miles, and every one of them was an absolute pleasure
The F2 is by far the best of the Sohc bikes IMHO, its fast , smooth, brakes well, good looking and sounds nice, and even better they are still cheap to buy
The build has had many ups and downs, but i have got over each one of the downs, and turned a negative into a positive, the other day i dropped a hole tool tray of heavy tools right ontop of the engine, chipping and denting the rocker cover , head fins, and alternator housing,
today a sharp lace rivet on one of my boots rubbed and scratched its way through the transmission casing paint,  so the appearance of the bike is tatty already and i have only had it on the road 1 day
Also i have brought the restoration to a finish before i have done everything , as i could not see me ever finishing it so i have many things that need to taken off and repainted, things like the foot pegs front and rear, the tank tail unit and side panels could do with a respray, the brake calipers at the front have been ruined by brake fluid (yes i know i should have used silicon), the seat could do with recovering , and lots of the fasteners need replating
But on the whole it is one tidy looking bike , with all the body work being untouched it retains a patina that is quite appealing,
I could have easily gone the whole hog and made it,almost new looking , but then i have spent way more on the bike than i ever intended to ,and can not justify relieving myself of another K  just to make it a show piece. below are some pictures of it , please bare in mind that this has not been cleaned or polished yet, as i am still doing the shake down riding and cant be arsed to clean it yet
I think the best thing about this bike is it is factory standard, only a few nuts and bolts being different
Oh yes and for the eagle eyed amongst us , yes i did put the front brake lines on the wrong sides LOL

Pete

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:33:42 AM by UK Pete »

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2011, 04:24:26 PM »
Now that looks really great, in fact I could use it as a pattern for mine, when I get round to it, nice work

Cheers

Den
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »
That looks really nice Pete and I think the best colour for an F2 as well. As you found they are nice to ride, maybe not as extreme as modern stuff but they are a really nice smooth ride and quicker than most realise.

A job well done that you can now appreciate and enjoy.

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
Thanks Spitfire and K2-K6 for your comments ,
Its been a long time doing this project and i am really pleased with the out come, i agree this is also my favourite colour for the F2 ,
i am just cleaning the bike at the moment and while doing so thinking of what project to start next
I will probably do another 750 sohc, i have a choice of 3 , the one i fancy is a cafe racer made up from all different parts sourced from my gathering of spares for the F2
pETE

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
That looks just great Pete well done, just got to finish mine now.
Enjoy riding her.
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2011, 01:10:04 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Paul, how is your F2 shaping up lately
Pete

Offline F2 Paul 876

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Hi Pete
Done nothing since Oct as other things to do and work are busy time and no heating in the shed.
I have a week off in April so hope to do a bit then.
Mind i do not have the help that you have IE super rabbit. ;D
Paul
Passed Bikes
CB 250 G5
CB 550 K3
CX 500 B2
VT 500 E X2
Still got
CB750 F2   2 off  1 Rebuilding  1 Waiting Rebuild

Offline Yoshi823

• SOHC Pro
  • Biker to the bone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »
Nice to see the bike like this Peter. During the long Winter it must have seemed like so far away.

By the way, the handlebar clamps are around the wrong way. The dot-punch marks should be towards the front. Tighten the front ones to spec first, then the rearward ones. There's an offset machined into the clamps, which is the reason for the dots.
Bikes...they're in the blood.
Yamaha R1 2001
Yamaha FZR1000R EXUP 1990
KTM 450 EXC RFS 2004
Honda XR400R 1997
Honda CB125T2 1980
Yamaha FJ1200 3XW 1991

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
Nice to see the bike like this Peter. During the long Winter it must have seemed like so far away.

By the way, the handlebar clamps are around the wrong way. The dot-punch marks should be towards the front. Tighten the front ones to spec first, then the rearward ones. There's an offset machined into the clamps, which is the reason for the dots.

Thanks you have a sharp eye tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal