Author Topic: SOHC Disorder or Lock Down Fever which is it ?  (Read 2764 times)

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
SOHC Disorder or Lock Down Fever which is it ?
« on: March 12, 2021, 07:10:40 AM »
I've noticed that as I approach a new task on my bike that I am not familiar with I have the following symptoms.

1. I keep on getting distracted by side issues to avoid starting the unfamiliar task.

2. I blabber on about the new task to my friends who are not interested - even though I listen to endless chatter about their golf handicap.

3. Insomnia creeps in as I mentally consider all the things that could go wrong - worst case scenarioitus.

4. In my head I compare my present life experienced 72 year old self with my teenage seemingly gung ho attitude to vehicle repairs.

5. I tally up the size of the current Money Pit project followed by bouts of Insomnia and self justification.

5. I finally get round to the new task after consulting the SOHC members only to find it was not as difficult as I had imagined.

6. Repeat the above for each new challenge telling yourself that when it ends you "might not" do another project - denial phase.
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: SOHC Disorder or Lock Down Fever which is it ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 07:50:51 AM »
I have a mixture of that and feeling excited about it and looking forward to it.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 08:03:58 AM »
And that's only when considering putting a new battery on ::)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 08:05:15 AM »
I have a mixture of that and feeling excited about it and looking forward to it.

Good point - I blame Covid for my list of negativity.

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 08:10:13 AM »

Battery changes can be complex do you fit Lead Acid/ Gell/AGM/EFB/Lithium what CCA what Amp Hour that's before you lift a spanner or break off a plastic fitment when removing a cover!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:46:41 AM »

Battery changes can be complex do you fit Lead Acid/ Gell/AGM/EFB/Lithium what CCA what Amp Hour that's before you lift a spanner or break off a plastic fitment when removing a cover!

And if lead acid, where do you source the acid if it doesn't come with it?
It does come with it Ken, but it's put in the battery by the supplier. Not allowed the bottles of acid ourselves these days, in case we drink it 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 09:06:26 AM »

And if lead acid, where do you source the acid if it doesn't come with it?
It does come with it Ken, but it's put in the battery by the supplier. Not allowed the bottles of acid ourselves these days, in case we drink it 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Another little known side effect of Long Covid - a thirst for Sulphuric Acid.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 09:30:28 AM »
I seriously think this lockdown is causing issues like this.

Basically its lack of concentration and confidence.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
On a serious note, since I was pretty ill a few years ago with the big C my confidence of doing mechanical jobs has fallen.

I have and would attempt anything, biggest job I ever did was replacing the chassis alone on my 1967 VW Beetle by jacking the body a couple of feet in the air on 2 fence posts and a stack of bricks.

Now I find some days I don't have the confidence to do anything. There have been days when I've gone to the garge, got the tools out to do something then put them away immediately and gone back indoors.

Some days I'm okay, I rebuilt the carbs on the 650 the other day and I hope to fit them later if it stops raining.

1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Lynx

• Repair & Despair Under One Roof
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 09:56:13 AM »
Good luck Steve. Hopefully when you start concentrating on the job, you'll be fine .

Yamaha RD500LC
Triumph Speed Triple RS.

Previous bikes include
1976 Honda CB400F Now sold :-(
CB350K3 x2
CB250G5
CX500C
VF500F2
VF1000FE

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »
It isn't Corvid, it is old age creeping up, when you are young and you needed a doorway in a wall. you got a hammer and made one taking the results as they happened, as you get older, you tend to spend days thinking of the possible downside and results of your actions, but you know deep down you still need the hammer.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »
I've noticed that as I approach a new task on my bike that I am not familiar with I have the following symptoms.

1. I keep on getting distracted by side issues to avoid starting the unfamiliar task.

2. I blabber on about the new task to my friends who are not interested - even though I listen to endless chatter about their golf handicap.

3. Insomnia creeps in as I mentally consider all the things that could go wrong - worst case scenarioitus.

4. In my head I compare my present life experienced 72 year old self with my teenage seemingly gung ho attitude to vehicle repairs.

5. I tally up the size of the current Money Pit project followed by bouts of Insomnia and self justification.

5. I finally get round to the new task after consulting the SOHC members only to find it was not as difficult as I had imagined.

6. Repeat the above for each new challenge telling yourself that when it ends you "might not" do another project - denial phase.

How did you read my mind, I look back in awe at things that I used to do every day that I now agonise over

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 10:14:18 AM »
And I thought it was just me 🤔🤔🤔
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:48 AM »
My CB750 battery came with separate acid, our stainless steel sink in the kitchen still bears the scars (after I’d specifically reassured the wife that it couldn’t possibly damage it). I don’t know that she knows what those marks are, I’ve never dared to raise the subject.

I think I’m more confident doing involved stuff now, when I was younger there was no forum to ask, no factory manual available to scrotes like me, and when I was as poor as a church mouse I had to decide between new bike parts and beer/food. On the other hand I can take my time now, when I was in my 20s and living in Salford, I put my Triumph 750 engine back in overnight, outside in the rain under a street lamp (that was when I decided to move to a house with a garage), simply because I was downgraded to a pedestrian until the bike was running again.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 10:57:50 AM »
For me,  more lazy than getting stuck as such, always something interesting that I can head to and put something off  :)

But help is greatly appreciated. Me and a couple of friends have similar diesel cars and help each other out if stuck or to run it by to catch experience and help. Motivation in that a cambelt change can come in at £750 (parts at about £175)  via dealer certainly gets the spanners out and just get on with it, with a couple of us on it that covers the bits we each don't like doing quite well to easily get it done.

Got more done during covid, so no reason for me.

As for the sulphuric,  mmmmm tasty  ;D maybe that's stopping me getting the lurgy. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal