Author Topic: Chroming and BZP again  (Read 707 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Chroming and BZP again
« on: March 14, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
We had a thread going a few months ago about Chromers and BZP. Search as I might I cant find it now. Somebody said they had a company that turned it around in a week. Can you post again with details of who it was. Thanks.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Chroming and BZP again
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 11:45:20 PM »
It may have been Agbrigg in Leeds Roy.

https://www.agbriggchrome.co.uk/

I had some stuff done by them via somebody else who is nearby and strips and polishes and then farms out the plating to Agbrigg (or did at the time). Same old story as Aaron and others.

The plating was fairy cheap and very quick turnaround but it was a pair of rims I got done  and you could feel tiny pit marks around the rim. You could blame the polishers but why taint your reputation like that.  Not a patch on the ones Aaron has done for me. But even Aaron  has now gone flaky with his service & quality, as we experienced with Bomber parts.

I talked to the owner of Agbrigg at Rufforth Autojumble last year about re-chroming a CB250 silencer but he told me there is a standard charge of £350 for re-chroming a silencer  ... Typically, close to twice the price  that other places  have charged me.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 10:15:46 AM »
I've just used Chingford Tec in Maidenhead to do my BZP on the recommendation of my chrome plater. Turnaround was two weeks and an excellent job. As for chroming, good luck with that, I tried six chrome platers within a 50mile radius to me and nobody wants to do it, they are only interested in new work and not something they have to strip, polish, fill pits etc. I gave up and cleaned the existing chrome with WD40 & fine wire wool followed by a wipe with turps and rub over with solvol and finally car wax. All this brought the parts up like new! That tip was given to me by one of the chrome platers.
There is a chrome plater in Southampton who my BIL used but very expensive at £600 to rechrome the full exhaust system. None of the pits were filled and it took 10 weeks.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:02:51 AM »
The thread you remember may have been my Z1A restoration thread in Other Bikes.

I posted Agbrigg my rear guard, torque arm and rear brake lever. Lovely job, £100 + £10 return post, back within a week. Others seem to have paid more for less, but I did get a quote first via email.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:08:43 AM »
Thanks Dave that looks like what I was looking for. Only really for BZP.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
Chroming really is a lottery. I have never used Prestige personally but a few people I know, who have very high standards, have used them for years and always go back there.

These people linked below  did my 500K0 chrome parts and were very good in terms of turnaround and quality. Prices were reasonable but I think I may have got a price, on the spot,  at Stafford Show,  which was discounted a bit. A lot of so called 'chrome platers' in the same area don't actually do the chroming in house, they send it to these guys after stripping & polishing.

http://www.marquerestore.co.uk/
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 12:51:51 PM »
I was really only looking for fast turnaround on BZP. Maybe it's time I had a go at home plating, anybody got any tips for what kind of kit to buy.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal