Author Topic: Obtaining a V5 on a rebuild  (Read 701 times)

Offline Bookmark1

• View Profile
Obtaining a V5 on a rebuild
« on: November 29, 2021, 02:05:43 PM »
I have just started a rebuild project on an accident damaged 1977 CB550 K3. I have already had to buy a replacement crankcase from a ‘76 model which will give me a new engine number but, unfortunately, the bike was a category B write off so I have also got to source a new frame. The only one I can source at the present time is a USA import (not sure of the year) for which the seller says he has the necessary NOVA certificate.
Can anyone advise how easy it will be, or even whether it will still be possible, to obtain a V5 and an age related registration.
Many thanks in advance.

Offline McCabe-Thiele (Ted)

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining a V5 on a rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 02:18:58 PM »
As a starting point the Gov website is pretty good in showing you how to register an imported vehicle - it tends to take months before you finally get your registration document after first application. Yours might be more complicated if you are sourcing the frame & engine separtely but I'm sure members here have done it.
I did a Mercedes SLK for the firm I used to work for via the LVLO at Nottingham before they shut them- it was easy as it was from the Channel Islands but it took about 3 months after having to buy a certificate of conformity as it was a relatively newish used car.

This link might help if you are unfarmiliar with the V55/5 process.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/register-a-used-vehicle-for-the-first-time-v555

Quite a few members here have done it or are in the process.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 02:22:34 PM by McCabe-Thiele (Ted) »
Honda CB500 K1 (new pit dug out ready)
Honda CB400 four super sport (first money pit)
Link to my full restoration http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,23291.0.html

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 02:44:58 PM »
You will not be able to retain the reg you have using a used frame, only a NEW one, which you probably wont find.
If the used frame has nova paperwork you can just build that as a bike, get a dating letter and dvla will issue an age related plate---eventually.
Be wary of frames as things did alter towards the end of the 550 especially on K3 models and the US had 550 long before us where they are nearer to a 500 than a 550.
I can talk you through it if you wish to pm me i will send you a fone number and best times

Offline Bookmark1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 05:19:43 PM »
Many thanks for the responses. BryanJ I have sent you an email.

Offline Bookmark1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 08:06:09 PM »
I received an email from a member named Roo but I’m unable to message you back as, rather weirdly, your contact details didn’t come through with the email.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:56:36 PM »
Well i didnt get a mail!
Tap on my avatar then send pm, i can reply to those whenim at work but i cant reply tp emails unless im at home

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 09:17:10 PM »
sent you some details 8)
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal