Author Topic: Budget CB550, 'Parking Space' Build!  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
Re: Budget CB550, 'Parking Space' Build!
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 09:48:42 PM »
Right, lots of progress!

Both engines are now in pieces.

Top ends: gone off to Julie to be worked on and returned ready for re-assembly.

Bottom ends: in bits, off for vapour blasting this week and I'm preparing to de-rust/clean all the other parts so when the casings come back I can set about measuring up for new crank shaft bearings etc.

Whilst I've got the bottom ends apart this is my 'whilst I'm in there' list of things to replace. Does anyone have any additions?

- Con Rod Bearings
- Crankshaft Bearings
- Primary Chain
- Cam Chain
- O Rings, Bolts.

Anything else that's worth attending too?

Next up after cleaning, working out how the thing goes back together...

R

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2021, 10:08:00 PM »
Primary drive "cush" rubbers to add on the list.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 07:21:46 AM »
Notnecessarily shells unless worn, damaged, out of spec or you dont know where they fit

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »
Only on one engine ken, and ive seen a lot worse with no marks on the shells, depends how good the pump screen and filter were

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 11:01:38 PM »
So next update in the engine headache!

Stripped both bottom ends and took a good look, it looks OK in there, the swarf seems to have come from a gouge in the casing where the engine has presumably thrown a chain or caught something and sent it flying around the sump..

Otherwise the head studs seem properly stuck in there and even with an impact wrench and stud extractor I'm having little luck

The heads were assessed and are unfortunately in really bad shape so it looks like I'm on the lookout for new ones of those for both bikes.

A little bit stuck and a good lesson in don't buy a non-runner. At the rate this is going I could be looking for two complete engines...

I'm hoping the bottom ends can be saved- potentially I might have to send them off to someone more familiar with them as whilst I could stomach re-assembly- the measurement and repair of a lot of these parts is a little beyond my experience.

Back to square -2! Not sure on what the next steps are, I'm scouring ebay for heads and barrels that may be better.

R

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 11:08:04 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
One of the casings once split...

Some detail of what I found in there

And again...

The primary shaft bearing and some marking on the case

A little daunting! I'm trying to get everything to a stage where I can get the cases blasted and all the parts clean before getting everything checked and put together by a pro, to save myself some budget for later...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 11:20:28 PM »
Shells look ok to reuse just make sure you know where they come from or you will be spending a fortune on new ones.
Casings dont look bad, bit of wear from primary chain but you will be fitting new anyway, black crap could be from cam chain tensioner/cushion or maybe primary dampers.

What makes you say you need new heads, they are extremely robust as long as not oil starved, put some pics up

Oh and dont pull the head studs
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:24:39 PM by Bryanj »

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 04:51:22 PM »
Update!

In the end the bottom ends have gone off to be blasted, and rebuilt by a professional for my own piece of mind over anything else.

I've just been refinishing the fuel tank- I can't seem to get rid of this last bit of corrosion despite using rust remover gel and a good hour or so trying to sand it off- any suggestions for how best to go about getting it up to a paintable surface? Is blasting the way to go?

Otherwise, Frame 2 is back off to the metal shop as the PO has remounted the fuel tank rubbers in a completely nuts place, so I'm having the original position for the rubbers rebuilt.

Electronics have all been ordered, so whilst the engine is off being rebuilt, I'll start mounting those to the frame and building up the loom.

I'm also stripping the Lester Mag wheels of paint and getting those ready for re-spraying- getting into all the nooks and crannies a massive pain!

Offline Raygun

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 08:44:24 PM »
Spent today finishing off the fuel tank- what a difference! Judicious use of a wire wheel seemed to really bring it up nicely. I'm almost tempted to keep it as a bare metal finish with a protective lacquer.

Before (above) and After (below)!

Now soaking the inside of the tank in white vinegar to deal with any corrosion in there.

Huge electronics and spares order arrives next week so in no particular order the next few stages are to;
- Rebuild carbs
- Mount electronics
- Design loom
- Order wiring

etc...

If anyone has one- I'm on the look out for a spoked rear hub for a CB550- I'd be grateful for any that aren't cracked etc...

I'm also blasting the Lester Mag wheels back to a bare metal finish and removing the layers of paint that have been applied over the years. Ideally I'll keep these as a bare metal finish, though I'll need to work out what protective barrier to apply to the surface.

R

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 09:41:29 PM »
Might have a hub but i need a few for build so not sure if one is spare, might be a 500 one tho

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal