Author Topic: CB400F Motogadget m.unit thread  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F Motogadget m.unit thread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2021, 01:16:47 AM »
I read that it was a REG REC thing and recommended to purchase a new REG REC unit more suited to a lithium battery. This ones 40+ years old and I was going to buy a replacement and don't mind spending the extra to keep the battery as is required. there's no flashy wiring on this just a bog standard replacement as motogadget illustrate. My looms toast due to its age and I wouldn't trust it. These bikes appear to be fairly simple so up for a challenge and fancy doing it to this great little bike.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a wiring novice hence all the questions, I just want to make sure I get what's right for what I intend on doing.
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

Offline zombie365

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 10:59:17 PM »
I ordered the Aliant YLP09x from DRBikes  https://www.drbikes.co.uk/product/aliant-lithium-motorcycle-battery-ylp09x/ £82 posted, I'm in UK.

I spoke to the guys at 4into1 but they were very vague on the output of the regulator and couldn't tell me if it was compatible with the Aliant YLP09x battery, shame really as the 4into1 reg/rec is half the price of the ricks reg/rec! The only info I could get out of them was that the max output of there reg/rec was 13.8v. I spoke to the guys at Aliant and they said the 4into1 reg/rec might not charge there battery very well. From reading the Haynes manual the 400/4 generator doesn't kick out much power when idle so battery could possibly die unless being used at higher revs. City riding wouldn't be any good. Aliant didn't recommend using 4into1 reg/rec with there batteries. As with any lithium based battery, if they get flat, they die for good. Looks like ill be biting the bullet and ordering the ricks rec/reg. Hopefully get a promo code from somewhere!

Anyway , to try and keep the motogadget m.unit topic going I'm also looking at the ignition switch side to things...

The original key has 3 electrical positions, OFF, ON and P . I assume the P stands for parking or power. I believe this is for if you stop at the side of the road at night you can still have some lights on.

I wont be using the original ignition lock but I still need to know if I'll come across any problems with using a simple 2 wire ignition switch/key. The motogadget m.unit manual says that a parking light can be activated by turning the ignition off when high beam is active. There are 3/4 wire ignition switches on ebay but cant see any reason why I would need another key position apart from ON or OFF with the M.unit.... or am I missing something?

1977 Honda CB400F

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 02:17:13 AM »
The 4 wire switch connects brown to brown white when in on position so the clock lights and sidelights both work

Offline Laverdaroo

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »
beat me to it Bryan!!....Like what he said. ;D
Mornings are the invention of the devil!

1977 CB550F (current money pit!!)
2002 VFR800 VTEC (The Beloved)
1977 CB400F (the last money pit!)
1998 Ducati 748\853 conversion(sold :()
1980 ish CB750KZ in a billion bits (need to get rid, anybody want one?))

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal